Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • First world Mac annoyance- Non-Apple mouse recognition
  • kayak23

I have a Mac Mini and use a wired mouse, it’s an HP or something.

Every time I boot the machine up, the Mac won’t recognise my mouse, and I have to unplug and plug it back in again to the Usb on the back in order for it to be recognised.
    I can then enter my password and the machine boots up proper.

Hardly a world ending problem but kind of annoying.
    Is this how Apple get you to buy their wireless mouse? 👿

Anyone come across this and have a fix?
    Cheers.

Sandwich

Have a look at Bluetooth preferences. If bluetooth is on at start up the machine automatically will look for a mouse and keyboard using this first.
    Also check your mouse preferences.

(Both of these are in System Preferences, apologies if this is teaching granny to suck eggs).

Three_Fish
    Free Member

How come it’s Apple’s fault and not HP’s? I’ve used several non-Apple USB mice on my iMac and never had an issue. A wireless mouse – Apple or otherwise – isn’t your only alternative, so maybe just drop a tenner on a new mouse and see how you get on. If it’s still playing the foo, take it to an a Apple store.

m360
    Free Member

My £2.99 tesco mouse, at least 8 years old, works perfectly with my mac. Didn’t even need to install it., just plugged it in and it worked instantly.

Suggest a fault with your settings somewhere, or your mouse.

kayak23

Sorry to blaspheme the name of the Holy, Three Fish 😉

No, of course it’s not necessarily the fault of the Mac. It’s just that the same mouse works just fine on two other laptops and a desktop. It’s just on this Mac that I keep having to plug it back in to get it to be recognised every time I turn it on.
    Works totally fine after that. It’s just the recognising thing.

I’ll try the advice in the system preferences, thanks for that.

Jamie
    Free Member

Wired mouse? What century is this?

andytherocketeer

The century where you don’t have to go and steal an AA from the TV remote when the mouse starts acting weird 😉

kayak23

Jamie – Freeloader!

andytherocketeer – Member
    The century where you don’t have to go and steal an AA from the TV remote when the mouse starts acting weird

Exactly! 😀

kayak23

Sandwich – Member
    Have a look at Bluetooth preferences. If bluetooth is on at start up the machine automatically will look for a mouse and keyboard using this first.

Genius!
    Thank you. The answer was indeed within Bluetooth preferences.
    Apple customer support couldn’t tell me that either…
    Cheers.
    🙂

kayak23

Sandwich – Member

Genius!
    Thank you. The answer was indeed within Bluetooth preferences.

I take it back. It worked right after I did it, but now I’ve rebooted after several days. My mouse isn’t being recognised without unplugging and plugging in again…
    😕

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Kayak – just close your eyes mumble abuse under your breath and just buy an Apple wireless magic mouse. It’s worth it IMO for the swipe jestures. (fellow Mac Mini user here 8) )

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Just get any other mouse, doesn’t have to be Apple, Bluetooth, magic or wireless. It’s a USB accessory and will function accordingly when it’s plugged in. It doesn’t matter if my wireless keyboard and mouse are ‘connected’, a plugged in USB version will still (also) control the cursor.

The easiest way to problem solving is to eliminate the mouse from the equation. If you get connectivity issues with another USB mouse, then the likelihood increases that the computer is at fault.

geoffj

Microsoft make the best mice ime – try one of theirs.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Microsoft make the best mice ime – try one of theirs.

Do they support all the touch and swipe gestures? No. These are really useful for moving around documents and webpages and moving between desktops

geoffj

Do they support all the touch and swipe gestures? No. These are really useful for moving around documents and webpages and moving between desktops

I manage ok with a scroll wheel and keyboard shortcuts – depends on what you are used to I suppose.
    I may have a dabble if the ms sculpt mouse supports them.

brassneck

Can’t handle the lag of wireless in Team Fortress 😉

..and I find them annoying so still use MS mice on everything to avoid them.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘First world Mac annoyance- Non-Apple mouse recognition’ is closed to new replies.