Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • First try at DH
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

I’m on holiday in italy and couldn’t not slip in a day in the alps. Going for a guided uplift day on a rental 200mm dh rig. Bit scared! anyone done The Hammer on mt stivo on here?

grum
    Free Member

YOU WILL DIE.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Just what i needed to hear! Cheers

steveh

you will be totally fine! just enjoy it. I’ll just say try to ride as close to your normal set up as possible – e.g. clips if you can and don’t be afraid to move brake levers etc so it all feels good.

tomhoward

Watch out for sharp left turns, I hear they come out of nowhere in the alps.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Just make sure you follow the leader…

Euro Huck To Flat – Chatel

richmtbguru
    Free Member

Ok, first off Chris, good to know your not going to be letting the chance slip! 😆
    Secondly, because your not taking your own bike, step it down a gear!
    This is vital, especially if you’ve never ridden a downhill bike before, it WILL give you so much more confidence, but be aware you will be going at faster speeds because of it so make sure to wear full body armour, full face helmet, neck brace if you can, and leg and elbow pads.
    Plus one for setting up the brakes how you feel comfortable with, it’s your bike for the day remember! 🙂
    Make sure to ask someone at the hire shop to set up the suspension for your weight and riding style, above
    all else, enjoy yourself! Stay positive but play safe! 🙂

chrishc777
    Free Member

good point about the setup there.. and i’ll be getting a full face lid and any other protection they’ll hire me. This is completely last minute so didn’t bring anything at all, no gloves or spd shoes, not even a bloody jersey. Probably a stupid idea but i can see myself sitting at work next week regretting not giving it a shot!

Speeder

If it’s a local bike remember the brake setup thing is very important as Euros tend to run them RH-rear, LH-front and unless you’re odd you’ll want them switched to the “correct” way.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Chill out, start easy, get a couple of runs under you belt and remember at the end of the day go back for 2 more runs, never do just one more run.

Set-up advice is good, be prepared to sort out suspension yourself (rebound etc) and give it a good spin round, sort brakes etc.

chrishc777
    Free Member

So I survived, ended up in the hedge on the first corner courtesy of euro reverse brakes but then all fine. Was all natural stuff so average speed was low and runs were long but got down some stuff I wouldn’t even have considered walking down before so pretty happy with it!
    Painful hands though still, by the end I couldn’t even use the brakes anymore… Amazing what alot of travel and some body armour can do to your skills though. Defo be trying some more next year!
    Cheers to everyone for the advice

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘First try at DH’ is closed to new replies.