• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • First time wheel building
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

So I’m about to embark on my first wheel build – rebuild really as I’m like for like replacing the rim on existing.

I have a copy of Roger Musson
    I have the various bits of tooling
    I have the components (subject to receipt of the rim)

The one thing I don’t have [an answer to] and need before I start and make some catastrophic mistake is this:

What beverage for wheel building?

Is it a beer job? Or should I approach with single malt or a brandy? Maybe even something left field like a pastis? Possibly even an espresso or two?

Any help greatly appreciated.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Mug of tea.

It’ll go cold as you try to work out why you have one more spoke than hole.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Morning wheel build – espresso
    Afternoon wheel build – tea
    Evening wheel build – beer

simondbarnes

I prefer a nice bottle of red

Pierre

If it’s your first wheel build, allow at least a couple of hours. So choose a drink you can happily sip away at for a couple of hours, while maintaining concentration (and probably increasing it in the stress-relieving fine-tuning end stage).

I wouldn’t go higher than about 5 per cent. 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

It doesn’t matter. You will be so busy concentrating on the wheel and not wanting to lose track of which spoke you tweaked last that you won’t drink it anyway

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

simondbarnes – Member
    I prefer a nice bottle of red

The issue with that is it means either breaking the rule about no nice glasses in the garage (this is a trade off with swmbo for no nice glasses in the dishwasher) or drinking from the bottle. I’m not sure i like the consequences of either.

Still it sounds as though general consensus is that there isn’t a right drink for the job, just that maybe success is inversely proportional to consumption.

tom200

Camelback with wine.

RicB

You need something very nice to sip whilst watching a self built wheel spinning perfectly true in the stand. One of the most gratifying bike maintenance feelings (built my second wheel on Saturday!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘First time wheel building’ is closed to new replies.