Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • First time to the Alps, what should I take
  • Lakes_Puma

I’m off to Mozine next month and would appreciate people with experience giving me some ideas of what to take with me.

I’m going by car so space is not at too much of a premium.

I don’t need suggestions like ‘A bike’ and ‘a passport’, I’m thinking more along the lines of spare brake pads, etc.

Even things like ‘book to read in the evening as nothing is open yet’ etc.

Constructive answers much appreciated.

alfabus
    Free Member

are you downhilling, or going for a bit of everything?

there are some pretty good xc loops, and some nice off road cols you can ride up (using the lifts to get maximum distance in a day)

if you can take some bits to change the build of your bike, I’d recommend doing that – you have enough time in the evenings to do some fairly major fettling, so you can set your bike up light for one day, and burly another. Even just changing tyres or wheels could be enough to give you a bit of variety on the trails.

Don’t just be another storm trooper on the Pleney 🙂

Dave

TheSwede
    Free Member

Spare mech and hanger, tyres, tubes, seat clamp bolt, brake pads and springs, seat post if using droppy post, loosen brake clamp bolts so they twist if you crash, gear cable, spokes if you have some spares that fit and tools. oh and tea bags.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1st rule Don’t take anything exotic or silly light to the alps!! (Roval Wheels etc)

Last trip out we had between the 2 of us

Heavier/Tough Wheel Sets on
    Spare Wheel Set (lightler)
    Spokes
    Spare Tyres
    Tubes
    Spare Mech and hangers
    Selection of tools
    Brake Pads
    Chain
    Full Face and XC Lid each
    Spare Fork (There was room)
    Anything unique to your bike!!

My thinking was along the lines that

On lift assisted trail heavier wheels/tyres don’t matter but in case of bend or longer XC trails spare lighter wheels for my missus was a good idea.
    Change of tyres – Had 2 pairs or 2.5’s one set of 2.35 Dual Ply Maxxis and a set of Single Ply 2.35 for the missus

Chains, brake pads and mechs have all been really expensive so just bringing the spares box really.

As for pads, if you got them take them – no point in nursing a big stack thinking at least my pads are clean and dry at home!!

And for Morzine I’d also put some Swamp things or the like in, when it rains it can be hell out there!

(previous is 5 Morzine Trips, 2 Les Arcs and area and 2x Mega)

ChrisE
    Free Member

There are loads of bike shope in Morzine so provided you have a credit card you shouldnt be stuck for much if you forget anything

C

tracknicko
    Free Member

ha – but make sure you have plenty of limit left on the card if that’s your plan!

tubes.
    at least one spare tyre. + make sure you swap to big volume thick carcass before leaving
    brake pads.
    BLEED KIT!
    tools (spoke key for sure)
    full face
    prob goggles as it will save your eyes pissing out water on some of the speedier bits!
    i personally wouldn’t worry about mud tyres if space is tight. when its proper muddy it gets FUN. in a chaotic kinda way. but since it’s (mainly) downhill you can get by, you just might go more sideways than straight.
    mud guard/mud flap… surprisingly more useful on a 30mph + fireroad in a thunderstorm than they are at home!
    decent and small packing waterproof (gets VERY cold on lifts when weather comes in)
    decent gloves
    decent pads
    camelback with at least 2L capacity ( you will get THIRSTY)
    LOTS of suncream.

i’m sure there’s more.

you don’t need a book for the evening, you can go and have a wander round, the scenery is unreal.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I took, and needed, spare brakes (for a friend and planned in all honestly), fork, headset remover, usual tools, pads…

Basically if you have it, and can spare the space, take it. Prices high and +1 on mudtyres. We had a washout week the first time. Was hell!

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh alright, i concede on mud tyres on the basis that if you time it bad and its wet all week, that going sideways EVERY day wont be fun.

on that note, if you have more than one pair of riding shoes/riding shorts etc. it will be worth it, as the rain makes getting changed into the same kit the following day pretty damn grim.

toys19
    Free Member

Bigger dia discs. Those long descents can be easier with a more pokey brake.
    Any specific spares, like if you have obscure parts on your bike.

kayak23

Marmite and brake pads, failing that, just Marmite.

brant
    Free Member

Ed Oxley

cardo

Another pair of gloves…. I found after riding in the same pair for a couple of days the seams start to bite and the hands get sore, by having a different make/type of glove it resolved the problem and let me get on with riding…. oh and if your chalet has a bath radox too! or chuck it in the jacuzzi 😉

tomaso
    Free Member

Spare dual ply tyres as the bike shops charge RRP and it can be eye watering when being held by the short and curlys.

thomthumb
    Free Member

spare gloves + glasses
    spare pads
    spare rr mech if you have one.
    spare tubes
    DH tyres + spare tyre if you’ve got them.

riding snacks if your fussy.

something to chill out with in the evenings book/ magazine/ ipod/ hacky sack 😉

flyingmonkeycorps

unklehomered – Member
    I took, and needed, spare brakes (for a friend and planned in all honestly), fork, headset remover, usual tools, pads…

And much appreciated they were too!

Has anyone mentioned zip ties yet? And as much riding kit as you can fit. Our chalet last year had Marmite, but good shout – not many will.

It’s also a good idea to pool resources and take bigger stuff like spare wheels if you can do. We needed at least a couple of spare wheels the first year. And I think UnkH’s forks needed rebuilding at one point.

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh if you’re going with mates then share some bits.

i had a spare boxxer stanchion (how the hell do you spell that) with me one year…

basically if you have space… get it in!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Breathalyzer (for the drive over – a legal requirement)

d3fm3ch
    Free Member

Ibuprofen gel. 🙂

ridethelakes
    Free Member

A first aid kit…

Lakes_Puma

Some fantastic suggestions there people, including may I’d definitely not thought of.

Keep them coming please.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Bleed kit, small bottle of brake fluid, couple of meters of blue roll.

Baggy tshirt or similar to wear over the body armour to keep the roost/dust/mud off.

Crop your spare cable inner to something aprrocahing the right length for your rear mech and solder seal the end.

Go or Hi5 powder will let you make your own drinks and ends up a lot cheper than lots of €3+ powerades.

I went with thin palmed clarino gloves with no seam or pads in the smallest size I could fit. This worked great. Taking your gloves off on the lifts and letting your hands breathe and your gloves air is a good move. I also like sweatbands to stop the gloves getting too sticky in the first place.

brant
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Take all your ride gear too!!

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Effectiveness of ibuprofen gel

Confirms my experience.

V useful thread BTW as I’m going to PPdS/Alps for the first time too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also pop in a bag of common sense….

If your all still standing by Wed Night then don’t get cocky!!

Accept that if you go exploring some will be good some will be Sh*te

Try and get a guide early on in the week to get your bearings

Don’t get stuck in Chatel – take a watch or set an alarm

If you make it to Linderet they you can road it out after the lifts close

Lifts close if it thunders (regardless of where you need to get to)

It thunders a bit

If you can still get to the top of Mont Cherry it was fun!!

unstableJ
    Free Member

It’s been mentioned but, SUNSCREEN, I burnt the back of my legs where the gap in my pads was a few years ago and wearing pads the rest of the week was v uncomfortable. The air’s thin in them mountains.

+1 for getting a guide for a day or two, you don’t need one but you will get more out of your time there with a bit of orientation.

It is indeed a very long way from Chatel to Morzine by road! You don’t want to get stuck that side of the hill.

There’s a nice picture from the top of Mont Cherry looking over Les Gets in the Lapierre catalogue (page 8 & 9). Pity there’s some mountain bikers stood in the way…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Insurance

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Put a dollop of anti seize in your maxle threads (if you’re using a maxle). Will make it easier to get out at the end of the week.

seavers
    Free Member

A woman…. there is a reason it’s also called Manzine.

Edit: Inflatable is acceptable.

Ambrose

Painkillers like paracetamol are not available without prescription in France.

I use a gps out there a lot, to log routes as well as follow them.
    It is a BIG mistake to miss the last lift up the hill. A seriously silly thing to do. Carry your passport and plastic just in case.

I’ve never used a guide there- just go explore, ask in bike shops (eg Torico) ask online, at top/ bottom of lifts etc.
    And when it rains it will be VERY slippery indeed.

aguesty1
    Free Member

A lad in the local bike shop told me to buy some major cheap waterproofs, he said when it rains it pours and your stuff gets ruined due to the claggy mud…..

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Your waterproofs get ruinned by sliding down hills on your arse 😀
    And take the kitchen sink, you can destroy bikes out there.

spooky_b329

A good bike lock. Our chalet was made up of four self contained units with a communal laundry/storage room. The owners idea of security was 10 metres of metal chain, the type you normally expect to see hanging across the entrance to a private car park.

A nightmare to thread through our six bikes especially you have people that care about their paint. I think the noise of removing it was a greater deterrent than the very small amount of security it gave us.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Sudocreme. For the inevitable chaffing…

tjh1985
    Free Member

Eak i need to get shopping for the PPDS ! 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sudocreme. For the inevitable chaffing…

It’s great on grazes and sunburn too. Combined with Ibuprofen it could comprise the entire required medical kit.

OP lots of good advice above, would ensure you have at least 3 pairs of socks and two sets of padded short liners, same pair all week = recipe for conflict with room/riding mates.

d3fm3ch
    Free Member

Some suggested waterproofs. Which is sensible but when we got caught in rain two years ago all the locals whipped out bin bags and ripped holes in them for head and arms. 🙂

Also when I say “caught in the rain” we were in a thunder and lightning storm getting battered by rain and hail on the worlds slowest chairlift! I don’t know if you’ve every been surrounded by lightning hitting mountains while hanging 60 feet from the ground but it was _exciting_. 🙂

james
    Free Member

Zip ties and old (ideally DH or FR) inner tube to rig up a ‘beef flap’ fork mounted spray guard. Else an RRP or MuckyNutz

Spare bolts of various sizes/lengths for your bike

Take apart your bike and clean/loctite/copperslip/torque everything as appropriate in the hope it’ll help reduce the chance of rattling your bike to bits

Powerlinks

Tick removal tool(s). IIRC European ticks carry lime disease. At least check yourself over after your shower. You’ll want the proper removal tool to reduce chance of getting limes

I read on here a while back greasing the back of your rotors (where it meets your hub) is supposed to help transfer heat away from the rotor a bit to deal with high heat in the rotors
    Just be careful not to get any on the rotor bolt threads as IIRC loctite won’t work/set as well/not at all

If big rotors, check what your frame/fork are warrantied to
    I was suprised to be told my 155mm FS frame is only warrantied to a 185mm rear rotor
    Most rockshox forks are upto 210mm

Sintered pads only if its sopping wet IME, else they’ll build up heat much quicker

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Armoured Under Shorts are also good

If you have them….

Don’t forget the spedo’s if your going to the pool

coolhandluke
    Free Member

What should I take

No too much following the terms and conditions change on Easyjet ( assuming that’s how you’re getting there)

Take maximum advantage of the fact that

You are (potentially) only allowed 32Kg of hold luggage including the bike
    Hand baggage doesn’t get weighted (56x45x25 max dims)
    there aren’t any rules about wearing body armour or multiple pairs of shorts when checking in. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘First time to the Alps, what should I take’ is closed to new replies.