Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • First time at BPW
  • Gunz
    Free Member

I know this has been asked before but I can’t find the thread, sorry. What are the best trails or combination to try on a first visit for the weekend. I’ve done most trail centres and I prefer fast and flowy over rad air.
    Also, I couldn’t get on the uplift, what’s a reasonable amount of runs to expect in a day if middling fit? Cheers.

weeksy

4-5

sofaking
    Free Member

get some tickets on the day, if its not a weekend the wait isnt too bad and do a few peddle ups too

Gunz
    Free Member

It’s a weekend I’m afraid Sofa, the only time all our mates’ family planets aligned.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Most people kick off with Sixapod, it’s a nice fast blue with few things to catch you out, still does catch a lot of people though – it’s faster than most TC trails and people just run out of room.

Runs? Frankly if I’m peddling up I might do 4 runs (most runs will incorporate 2-4 trails) – but I’m quite lazy and live fairly local so rarely feel the need to make the most of it. TBH even if you’re not booked on you can usually still get on a bus, you just might wait a bit longer. Uplifts are £4 a go if you pre-buy them in the centre, £5 cash and the drivers moan if you don’t have it exact.

A little tip if you’re pedalling – about 2/3rds the way up you pass the ‘proper start’ of Terry’s Belly, Poptyping and Hotstepper it’s really not worth completing the the rest of the climb to ride the almost featureless transition back to the ‘proper start’ it’s not bad, just not worth the time.

Gunz
    Free Member

Cheers P-Jay, getting quite excited.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Yep, sixtapod is good for first run. Vicous valley – boneville – insufficient funds is a good combo. Hotstepper is awesome! Most of the blacks are fun even if you cant clear the jumps. Cant go wrong really!

Wear knee/elbow pads if you’ve got them. The ground is pretty hard and rocky. I’ve been there a few times with friends who’ve had to go to hospital for stitches from pretty innocuous crashes.

jekkyl

Is that how we’re spelling pedaling now?
    Peddling is when an old gypsy calls at your door selling magic heather.

mark90
    Free Member

I normally open with Sixtapod > Willy Waver as a good warm up. It can get silly fast though. As mentioned above Vicious valley > Bonneyville > Insufficient funds is a cracking run, my favorite.

However if I was doing a ride up I’d probably just do the trails down to the first fireroad and ride back up from there. You could spend some time sessioning Popty ping and the top section of Hotstepper, both great trails.

joebristol

Terry’s belly is a really long run from memory and pretty fast if you want it to be. You’ll have claws for hands by the time you get to the bottom!

Really any of the blues or reds are great at BPW. If you’re not a lover of drops then perhaps miss out hotstepper.

I did uplift last time which made the day fantastic. First time I went I rode up and it was pouring with rain all day. Managed 3 runs that day – but would have done a couple more without rain.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@Jeklyl – I haven’t slept properly in a few days, I’ve got a blazing fever and also dyslexic- frankly it’s a wonder I started it with a ‘p’.

😉

Still, OP managed to work out what I meant.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘First time at BPW’ is closed to new replies.