• This topic has 49 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • First Sportive- advice (autumn Skylark around Huddersfield)
  • hora
    Free Member

My first ever Sportive:

http://skylarksportive.com/about-autumn-skylark/autumn-skylark-routes/

Ok so its going to be 80km. I don’t care if it kills me. I’ll do it. Any advice? Keep eating? Its only a couple of weeks away 😯 is there anything ‘extra’ that I can do to prepare?

The only real hills/ride that I’ve done is from Manchester to Hudds and back to watch the TDF but that had a 4-5hour break in the middle so can’t be classed as the same I guess.

mogrim

It’s only 80km – maybe a 3hr ride? If they’ve got feed stations eat there, you’ve paid for it. Otherwise maybe halfway round?

hora
    Free Member

It’s only 80km

😯

stumpy01

It’ll be fine. Just go at a nice, steady pace. Don’t be tempted to keep up with people clearly faster than you, although sticking to a similarly paced group can help nicely.
    Keep eating stuff regularly and drink plenty too.

I did the Wiggle Dragon Ride earlier this year and it was my first sportive. ‘Normal’ ride distances up to that point had been 20-35 miles with a few 45 mile rides (perhaps once a month). I did 70 miles with a mate about a month before the event, but that was on much flatter terrain and we kept the pace down.
    Living in East Angular meant that there was no way to really prepare me for the hills, but it was fine. Just kept a steady rythmn and kept spinning.
    How hilly is the course? What cassette are you using? I swapped my 11-25 to an 11-28 and that was fine. Perhaps an 11-32 would have meant I wasn’t churning so much up the steeper stuff, but I don’t like the ratio gaps – seems more noticeable on the road, than mtb.

Take something in case the weather turns rubbish, take plenty of food and water. Easy.

sandwicheater

Looks like a fun route, will pencil the 115km one in when my legs can do 115km.

Never done a sportive before but I’ll happily give advice. Eerrmmm, eat plenty of pie.

hora
    Free Member

Its a 50-34 chainset and 11-28 if ok?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Don’t overthink it.

It’s just a day out with signposts and lots of other people around (many of whom will be off and walking before you know it). Not some sort of death march.

Go your own pace and enjoy it. It looks a great route.

chakaping
    Free Member

Go and do an 80km ride as soon as possible, it’s quite do-able in an evening. Then you can spend the rest of the time looking forward to the event rather than dreading it.

Your gearing will be perfect and yes eat regularly – gels, bars, cake, fruit whatever. Try to stick to products you already know on the day though.

dunmail
    Free Member

Most of those hills are steady rather than steep (Holme Moss has a couple of short steeper sections) and closer to alpine style climbs. Get in a gear you can spin easily at the bottom and just keep going.

I run 50/34 with a 12-25 block and would be in the big ring and pedalling at 70rpm+ for most of those.

hora
    Free Member

Idea- I’ll do my Sat am MTN bike ride as normal. I’ll also pack my road bike and do a hills road ride up and around Hudds in the afternoon. Just to see how many hours I can comfortably pack in. True- then it’ll make the Sportive fun rather than dreading it.

When I rode from S.Manchester to the centre of Hudds I didn’t struggle. I enjoyed it but once on the tops the role down towards Marsden and town is all downhill.

dunmail
    Free Member

Should have added: I find that a ratio of between 2:1 & 3:1 in distance between road and MTB is about right in terms of overall effort. I.e. 80Km on the road is about the same as 25 – 40Km mountain biking.

All depends on how hard you are working obviously.

ahwiles
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

Go and do an 80km ride as soon as possible, it’s quite do-able in an evening.

not anymore it isn’t, unless Hora can ride at 40kph?

nemesis
    Free Member

80k will be fine so long as you keep eating and drinking enough and you spin the gears rather than grind up the hills.

nemesis
    Free Member

oh and

Bet you’ll be in lycra and everything…

ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!
    ROADIE HORA!

Gary_M
    Free Member

How many miles are you doing on the road bike at the moment?

50 miles isn’t that much, I don’t mean that in a disparaging way, so you will be fine. It’ll likely only take you 3-4hours so its not to long in the saddle really.

As others have said just take it easy, don’t shoot off the front then die after an hour.
    Find a big group and sit at the back if you’re struggling.
    Don’t hang around at the feed stations having a rest, you’ll stiffen up.

How much climbing is there overall?

hora
    Free Member

ROADIE HORA!

😆

It doesn’t give climbing stats?

Gary_M
    Free Member

That gear ration will be fine btw as the climbs are an okay gradient, with maybe a couple of steep bits.

On any long ride I would start eating at the end of the first hour then something every 30 minutes after that. So if you take 4 or 5 gels and don’t stop at the feed stations you’ll be fine.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t be tempted to change gears at this late stage, unless you find doing what you normally do a struggle (which I doubt very much) Stick to the ratios you have, you’re legs will remember them and thats all that matters.

I’d go do a couple of reps of a hill/ gradient a little steeper than one thats in the route, pace yourself going up, then do a hard dig one, then an easy one and repeat for a couple of hours. It’s not so much leg/breathing training as much as mental coping. Sometimes you just blow up because your brain turns off, try concentrating on spinning/dragging yyour sorry arse up it, it will help.

Then just sign on and enjoy the ride. Hope the weather holds out, don’t get cold, eat and drink at your own pace and if you feel like popping, back off, relax, pace off and drop to the back then gradually pace back on, it’s normal.

8)

MoreCashThanDash

As others have said, don’t overthink it, treat it as a long day out, eat little and often, drink even more regularly. Don’t try any energy products you haven’t use before, even if the sponsors are giving it away like sweets. Trust me on that one 😳

Some people will be quicker and some will be slower, don’t. Worry about it.

Enjoy the feeling of satisfaction at the end. Then realise that you could have ridden 4-5 audax for tbe same entry cost, and come and have some proper fun. Got my first “proper” 200k audax in just over a week and suspect I will be finishing in tbe dark..

2tyred

I think you should get a new bike for it. 😀

nemesis
    Free Member

Or at least a new fork…

MrNice
    Free Member

has no one yet said MTFU? standards are slipping

it’s 50 miles and no gradients above 11 or 12% A regular cyclist on sensible gearing (eg compact chainset and 11-28) shouldn’t have any problems that a bit of determination can’t overcome. I had the same concerns before a wiggle sportive in the peak and I was fine (albeit my language was a bit fruity as I swore my way up Winnats). The advice on regular eating is good though, mtbers tend to take a break for snacks but roadies such as yourself eat as they ride.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Helpfully, the 80km route is not public on MapMyRide. However:

50km 1224m – http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/438962694
    115km 2562m – http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/437387096

So split the difference for the 80km I guess.

hora
    Free Member

but roadies such as yourself eat as they ride

I guess we should do 8)

Re eating- I’ll stick to what I know and regular- cheers. Avoid cake etc as I know sugar or energy products will royall **** me up.

Haze

It’ll be fine. Just go at a nice, steady pace. Don’t be tempted to keep up with people clearly faster than you, although sticking to a similarly paced group can help nicely.
    Keep eating stuff regularly and drink plenty too.

Pretty much sums it up.

Don’t overthink it, you’ll be surprised how much you can keep going even when you think you’re done.

Enjoy, I’m not a big fan of sportives but they can be fun occasionally.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Helpfully, the 80km route is not public on MapMyRide. However:

50km 1224m – http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/438962694
    115km 2562m – http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/437387096

So split the difference for the 80km I guess.

Having chucked it into Strava, it reckons 2027m.

Saccades
    Free Member

If you can get to Huddersifield from Manchester (over the moors I presume) then you are well able for an 80km. I’ve only done a few sportives (Wicklow 200 etc) on a IGH Pompino, but if you aim for 20km inc stops and draft if there is any headwind you can will surprised just how far you can go with regular fuelling (zero tabs in the water bottles and power bars for me).

Just make sure you are comfy on the bike (don’t overpack your pockets, it’s like Chinese water torture after 50-60km) and have a decent number of spares of stuff. I found knowing the route (even if by map) really helped me in knowing how much I could push during events which helps if you get to tuck into a fast group for a while).

MrSmith
    Free Member

what will you do if it’s windy? 😯

” My Planet X forks are slab-sided. Kinda want to tinker. If I sit back on the bike ‘no handed’ and pedal – if theres even the slightest gust of wind the front washes out – on descents its quite nervous in wind.”

be careful out there, the road takes no prisoners….

mintimperial

34-28 will be fine for those hills (although I suspect some of the armchair Contadors on here might be slightly surprised by that innocuous-looking little hill just past Slaithwaite, heh).

Keep eating, start eating early and keep shovelling it in. Drink lots, no, more than that. Don’t go off like a nutter up the first hill. Find a group going at what feels like an easy speed at the start and stay with them.

Looks like a fun course, might see if I can get a pass for this one. It’d be rude not to show up given that it starts in my village…

Gary_M
    Free Member

4000ft is reasonably lumpy for a 50 mile ride but as none of the gradients are not too steep you’ll be fine. Although if you’re not used to doing a lot of climbing then you may be in a bit of pain towards the end. Best pack a caffeine gel for the last 30 minutes.

hora
    Free Member

If you can get to Huddersifield from Manchester (over the moors I presume)

Yes- I went back via the A640. Just long and dull that bit!

Yak

Take whatever food you need and 2 bottles so you don’t need to rely on the feed stations.

It’s great if you can find a similar paced group. It’s rubbish when they ride past the feed station and you have to stop.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I found that after my 1st long road ride this summer (80 miles) that a heart rate monitor was useful as I have a tendancy to go off too quick.

I found 40-50 miles the hardest as it was a psychological barrier that I had not really ridden past before. As others have said you would be surprised what you can actually do though if you dont think too hard.

I would have thought wind would be the biggest killer around that area, Ive never yet been up there when it hasnt be blowing a gale. Dont be too proud, just sit on a group of wheels for most of the ride and then leave them behind in the last 5 miles 😆

Cramp may be an issue if you are not used to doing the miles, just go through it 🙂

Edit: Cream your arse too 😆

DezB
    Free Member

We passed a bunch of sportive riders on Sunday and my son asked me what it was all about.
    Paying money to ride on the roads, nah, I just couldn’t explain it to the lad..

boxelder

Don’t forget it’s a race. Sit at the back of small groups and don’t waste any energy at the front of the group. Surprise sudden sprint for the finish always goes down well.

nemesis
    Free Member

You’re not paying to ride on the road. You’re paying to ride an event with support, facilities, a marked route and usually food along the way. Obviously some are better value than others but the fundamental concept is perfectly good. Some sportives are rubbish. Some are great. Same for Audaxes.

aP
    Free Member

The main thing for all these kinds of ride is pacing. If you go off too fast you’ll suffer, if you go off too slow – you’ll be out there for a long time 😉
    But, 80km really isn’t that far, it’ll take a few hours, you’ll fell like you’ve done something. Hopefully you won’t suffer as horribly as I did out on the club run last Sunday when I discovered that I had nothing in the legs after having done 6 hours mountain biking the day before… Didn’t help that I was leading the group (from the back), still did 100km in 4.5 hours. Gran Fondo Prosecco in 10 days, a litre of Prosecco should keep me going on the Strada Bianchi…

benji
    Free Member

Point and laugh at anyone who talks about winning a sportive.

In the words of Niner, pedal damn it.

hora
    Free Member

Paying to ride on roads…

In a way VAT on your bikes and kit is paying to ride on roads anyway though.

I’ve no problem with Sportives.

Cream on arse- I was thinking about this last night. Any extra padded shorts available? 😆

Question- the top of my thighs ache (the muscle not rubbing)- what is this?

weeksy

I did 72km on only my 3rd Road ride a couple of weekends ago, I’d not sat on a road bike for 2 years (I only rode that one 3 times too). It was fine… even at a 17mph average.

You’ll be reet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘First Sportive- advice (autumn Skylark around Huddersfield)’ is closed to new replies.