Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • First SPD/Shoe combo recommendations please!
  • climbingkev
    Free Member

As per the title.

I ride pretty much everything, all day routes in the Peak to uplift days. Currently ride Saint flats with Teva’s/5.10 Impact. I’ve often contemplated clipping in but lack the confidence. When my foot placement is spot on there’s normally no dabbing and I ride a lot smoother, thinking clipless with lots of float would be ideal? Since using clipless on a road bike I’m less nervous and would like the uphill efficiency since going 1x.

So, I’m looking at Mavic Crossride XL and Teva Pivots, sub £95 all in.
    Anything else I should consider?
    Comments from anyone using this combo appreciated!

Kev

VanHalen

Crank bros get bad press but as a die hard flat pedal fan when I started to ride further more regularly some cheap second hand mallets and shoes are great.

julzm
    Free Member

I’ve recently put shimano SPDs on my cross country bike, still ride flats and fivetens on full susser. I actually wish I’d gone for crank brothers due to the float. I’ve found it quite difficult to unclip from the SPDs when I’ve gotten myself into a sticky situation (e.g. Brakes not working correctly and discovered when going downhill on a tight corner!).

I’m not experienced enough on SPDs to give you advice but float is quite important if you’re used to the freedom of flats.

devash
    Free Member

Shimano PD-530 pedals and M089 shoes if you’re on a budget. Been using the 530’s for a couple of years now and I really don’t see any point in paying triple for the XT version.

For £65 online the M089 shoes are just plain awesome. Stiff but not XC race stiff so you can still walk around off the bike and they seem to utilise the extra platform of the 530 pedals better than my old Specialized shoes for a better power transfer feel.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

If you want the sort of support you get on flats then there’s only one option. CB Mallet DH pedals and a skate style shoe like the Giro Chamber.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Cheers folks.

Quick google suggests the PD-530’s are one sided, so not what I really want. CB Mallet DH = £££, although the float and big platform appeals. My reasoning is the Mavics have a largish platform, lots of float; 13 or 17degs, and are reliable and cheap. Giro Chambers look interesting, bit more expensive but doable – thanks do the Germans! I’ll try and try a few on before ordering. 😉

transporter13
    Free Member

Shimano am45 and dx spds

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘First SPD/Shoe combo recommendations please!’ is closed to new replies.