Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • First Smartphone for Mum
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Basically My mum’s ancient Nokia has finally given up the Ghost so looking at Modernising her. She currently owns a IPad that she uses for work (university Lecturer) so she isn’t a complete technophobe. She tried my old phone a HTC one S and struggled because she felt it was too small and hard to navigate. I struggled with HTC Sense ui at first coming from a IPhone but now I love it and have just got the M8.

She did however find my missus’s Samsung Galaxy S3 easier as it was larger.

Looking to pay no more than £38 a month and it must be on Orange Or EE.

I Thought maybe the Galaxy S4 or IPhone 5C but the iPhones quite small.

disben

One option with all phones atm which I do and I know quite a few do on here – buy a phone up front and then pay monthly. I personally do that with GiffGaff (£12 a month covers everything) and two years ago bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus for around £200. My wife pays £7.50 a month and has a Motorola Moto G (bought last Christmas for £90. The savings are amazing compared to having a contract.

(wifes phone) £7.50 x 24 (normal life of a contract / phone) + phone = £270
    (my phone) £12 x 24 + phone = £488
    £38 per month – £912 over a two year contract….!

Pretty sure Orange do pay monthly or sim only deals – seems simplest option as your mum can then choose whichever phone she likes the look of!

Flaperon

My mum loves her Windows Phone, a Nokia Lumia 630. Seemed to have Facebook, the camera, messaging and email figured out and she’s not complained about a shortage of apps yet.

Only £90, too.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yeah my Mum mentioned a Nokia Lumia, but I’ve never used a Windows phone so can’t help her on that one. Easy to use?

Flaperon

It’s a doddle. I notice iOS and Android are making major steps towards copying the interface, so they’re doing something right.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/how-to/wp8/basics/get-started-with-windows-phone

There’s a “getting started” video at the site above.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘First Smartphone for Mum’ is closed to new replies.