• This topic has 45 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • First road ride
  • sefton
    Free Member

keep at it mate it will be worth it when you are dusting your fellow mtbers on the trails 😉

the traction argument is seriously boring! 🙄

be prepared to become obsessed with average speeds

stylish
    Free Member

For me over the last 6 months the road bike has been used more than my mtb”s, family life,home and work have been too usy to find the time to drive 35 miles to the forest, but i can wheel out the roadie and have a couple of hours to keep my fitness up and most importantly, ride a bike.

and the lovely Wife, has bought me a nice shiny new Cannondale Supersix for my 40th! which is sitting doing bugger all at the moment as i have to get over a Cornea transplant first…………

_tom_
    Free Member

Just got myself a road bike after about 5 months away from it, loving it again! Ride the road bike every day, only have the time and money to mtb on proper trails about 2-3 times a month.

I think you get used to the drops quite quickly. I still need to get some reach adjuster pads though, wish they had an easier way to adjust them like you get on normal brake levers. Only thing I’m finding is that I’m getting bad wrist pains but I think my wrists may just be nackered from a mixture of whistler braking bumps and forks with terrible small bump sensitivity!

BadlyWiredDog

!. Swissstop Greens or Koolstop Salmons are both good pads ime, wet and dry. Road brakes seem to vary a lot, I had some cheap Tektros on my first road bike that were truly awful. Good road brakes with decent pads will slow you down fast. If they don’t there’s something wrong.

2. On the bars front, compact drops – they’re closer to the tops – are a lot easier to use, which means you’ll actually use them more. FSA do some cheap ones for about 30 quid, which are fine. Hardened roadies will sneer, but these are people who think you’ll go to hell if you don’t wear white socks.

3. People are obsessed with the idea that they need 120psi to go fast. In reality, 120psi feels fast because the tyres are rock solid so you feel every bit of roughness on the road surface. Depending on how heavy you are, you can run a lot less – say 90-100psi – without losing any speed at all, but they won’t feel as fast. This is straight from someone who ought to know because they’re a veteran road bike journo.

4. What other people have said about 25s rather than 23s – Conti GP4000S in Black Chilli are amazingly grippy wet and dry. Cheap and nasty tyres are just scary.

5. This all works for me, but I’m just a normal sort of cyclist. I absolutely concede in advance that anyone who disagrees with me is probably correct.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I love my Road bike, I have Lycra, but I will not shave my legs….

I bought a new Helmet minus peak for the road, but My MTB one is now broken so I just use the Roady one for everything now 😉

Haze

sc-xc – Member
    Make sure you count your sprockets before each ride….

Missed this.

Piss off.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘First road ride’ is closed to new replies.