Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • First road bike since I was 16. Any tips?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Just taken delivery of a Scott Speedster S50, bought via our ride to work scheme.

Now I haven’t had a road bike since I was a cocky 16 year old (I’m 42 now). My most vivid memory was stacking it at the bottom of a fast road descent and breaking my wrist and my brand new Rotary watch. To avoid such disasters with my new purchase, are there any tips for one who normally rides a FS off-road?

TiA

wwaswas

the steering will feel exceptionally twitchy and the bars very narrow.

red lights are optional for cyclists.

Rubber_Buccaneer

The riding position will take some getting used to as will the lack of braking power. I suggest full body armour 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

Don’t wear a brand new watch while on the bike?

derek_starship
    Free Member

The riding position will take some getting used to

At least my belly has shrunk so I’ll be able to get down on the drops!

Mister P – I was 16 – I was showing off with my white Amaco “racer” and Rotary watch combo!

I was wearing shorts and a “tea bag” type Miami Dolphins football shirt. My gravel rash was surreal. And very painful. Especially when I got in a hot bath with Dettol added. Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Usually my first advice would be to lower the gearing but it looks like that Scott already has a 30:28 bottom gear so you should be ok!

thomthumb
    Free Member

lack of braking power.

get the brakes set up properly and you will be able to brake.

too many mtbrs have the brakes pointing somewhere weird then complain about braking power.

matthewjb
    Free Member

lack of braking power.

I was in a similar position last year with a similar age gap.

I was really impressed by how good the brakes were. Not as good as discs but you could lock a wheel which is surely enough (or rather slightly too much).

Much better than the road bike I had as a kid.

binners

I’m in the same boat mate. Took delivery of my road bike a few weeks ago. I hadn’t ridden one for over twenty years. My first commute to work was terrifying.

They’re twitchier than a pedophile in a nursery. You feel every single ripple in the road and they don’t like to stop, but by God, do they go!!! I’ve got my 15 mile commute to bang on an hour. And thats taking in some bloody big hills

You need to be very conservative with your braking distances. Keep a close eye on the road surface in front of you. Not something your used too with 5 inches of travel, tractor tyres and 8 inch disc rotors!

Be ready to get out of the saddle and start really grunting up hills too. None of this sitting back and winching yourself up.

Enjoy 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

if the position feels a bit too different, ease yourself into it – stem a bit higher, seat a bit lower than ‘ideal’ – change after few ride. that’s what I did and what seemed twitchy and uncomfortable became comfortable
    get used to changing your hand position around too – on the drops, on the hoods, on the flats – especially on long rides – your upper body will thank you for it

Rubber_Buccaneer

When I said lack of braking power I meant the whole system including skinny tyres not having as much grip so locking up being relatively easy.

On the plus side you will feel fast (at least until someone goes past you)

yossarian
    Free Member

Getting down onto the drops is bloody weird after 20 years of flat/riser bars. Feels like your hands are practically on the front wheel. Getting back up onto the hoods is a little hair raising initially.

fasthaggis

Take your time getting used to it.
    It always surprises me how long it takes for me to settle in to my summer bike after a winter of big tyres and comfi riding 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

Thanks so far chaps.

Please…keep em coming.

Binners – your “twitchier than” simile mad me chuckle!

*takes midazolam to take the edge off the anxiety of first ride*

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘First road bike since I was 16. Any tips?’ is closed to new replies.