Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • First ride in a month….
  • ajantom

….oof, that was hard work!

First MTB ride since buggering my coccyx at the beginning of December (did a slow road pootle on boxing day with the inlaws, so doesn’t count)

Lovely day for it, and Woodbury was suprisingly dry given the rain over the last few weeks. But, my fitness levels have dropped right off. 16 miles on the SS, and I feel knackered!

theotherjonv

+1 to that. Have done a couple of longer but reasonably gentle rides over christmas but took the SS out for a 2 hr blast with the intent of tackling hills as hard as i could. Managed to bounce my heart rate off the rev limiter a few more times than i’d consider healthy!! Now finding movement quite challenging.

MoreCashThanDash

Just taken my lad out for his first 8 mile ride in 2-3 months. He can barely walk. He is only 10 though

emac65
    Free Member

Finally got back on my bike last Friday after 3 weeks off,nothing wrong with me I just lost the love for it ! Back on it now & have managed 140 miles on the rigid SS in the last 8 days,they aint fast & it’s bleeding painful too !Don’t think putting on over a stone(my riding had gone a bit slack beforehand as well)helped either,it can only get easier from here on in….
    I hope !

jekkyl

16 miles is a decent length after injury, nice one.

johnj2000
    Free Member

You want to try 6 months without anything! Been back on the bike 3 weeks now and managed a 2hr pootle on totally flat bridleway and today I thought I was going to expire on an easy session around some Singletrack and flat muddy stuff. It’s horrid how easy you lose fitness but how bloody hard it is to regain it. I did a 100 mile event just before I became unwell and now even flat stuff is hard.

Anyway that’s my rant out of the way. Good news you are able to ride again 😀

ajantom

16 miles is a decent length after injury, nice one.

I went until I needed a snack and felt ‘half-knackered’ and then turned around and came back another way. The last climb was a struggle!
    The weird thing about injuring your coccyx is the way the bum muscles all feel like they’re torn (probably are!) and so are pulling in a weird way as they get better. You don’t realise how much you use your Gluteus Maximus in cycling until you can’t 😕
    I might even dig out the sorely underused road bike for a few spins.

iainc

5 weeks today since I ripped half my face off at Cathkin 🙄 first mtb ride tomorrow 😛 somewhere else though, hopefully demon free …

ajantom

Good luck tomorrow, have a good ride, and let it refresh the fun stuff about what we do 😀

I purposely cycled past the spot I came off today, just because! Was a stupid accident (tree swing caught on bars and flipped me off) so wasn’t risky.

iainc

Good luck tomorrow, have a good ride, and let it refresh the fun stuff about what we do 😀

many thanks,cheers 😛

mine was a drop off that is a decent size, but done before. I remember dropping saddle in prep ……and woke up getting into ambulance !

johnj2000
    Free Member

Best of luck tomorrow iainc.

iainc

Thanks john

5spot
    Free Member

Yes it is hard work after 2 months of the bike after both wrists fractured,but glad to be back on the bike!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

First ride today after knee surgery. Three weeks post op, managed three miles. Not very good at all. Was a bit sore afterwards. Try again Monday.

neilm
    Free Member

Well done Tom.

I did my first proper ride on Friday, after being off the bike since mid November due to an infection and a bout of gastrosomethingnasty. I managed 14 miles on my road bike.

I’m have to say it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be, well, after the first four miles it wasn’t.

Glad to know you’re on the mend.

Kt and I are planning our first trip to Woodbury as soon as I’m up to it.

number18
    Free Member

I rode Llandegla on 23/12 and went again today. Today is the first time in about two years I’ve felt Llandegla feel like a struggle to get round, usually I’d be up for a second lap!

Work to be done.

Del

Tom, wondered why we hadn’t seen you over chrimbo. you forget how much it hurts as well, don’t you? get well soon, but not too soon 😉
    tomorrow?

ajantom

Hi Del. Yeah, I’ve been out of the loop a bit. Did think you guys might start wondering if I’d decided to give up MTBing!
    Can’t make tomorrow, we’re going out for lunch with my dad.
    What’s Haldon like at the mo….in a bit of state I guess from all the rain and wind?
    Will try to make it out next week, though you’ll have to go gentle on me!

Del

enjoy lunch.
    we’re not doing too bad actually. it’s taken a fair amount of work but everything is open again, apart from where the commercial guys still have work to do, so smelly ring and ringring are out, but that’s about it.
    see you soon.
    🙂

jamj1974

Nice work OP. Injuries do terrible things to fitness – but I think 16 miles is great, considering coccyx damage and time off.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘First ride in a month….’ is closed to new replies.