Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • First owner only
  • D0NK

Been noticing recently quite a lot of warrantys are first owner only, (has it always been like this or am I a bit slow?)
    Does anyone else have a problem with this? If somethings warrantied for 1/2/5 years then surely it’s 1/2/5 years whether one or a hundred different people have owned it. If the product has been mistreated you don’t pay up for anyone but if it’s a genuine warranty job how come companies only pay out to the first owner?

Lets just for arguments sake say you can prove when the product was made and it’s not stolen – remove those potential excuses

wwaswas

Most warranties have always been first owner only, imo.

The warranty (over and above the sale of goods act requirements which the retailer has to meet) is a ‘favour’ that the importer/manufacturer is doing to the purchaser so they can set their own rules.

D0NK

The warranty…is a ‘favour’

is that what it was originally tho? Nowadays I thought it was an endorsment that they trusted and stood by their product. (and I believe some companies do just that, IIRC yoshimi had a non warranty issue with his 2nd hand turner frame and they sent him a spare)

Junkyard
    Free Member

some are better than others – Turner, Gravity Dropper, Hope but generally first owner because it is cheaper.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Manufacturers have got to draw the line somwhere, and, yes, the terms of the warranty are up to them.

Arguing what they “should” do is irrelevant as they have set the terms.

D0NK

of course it’s irrelevant but so is most of what we discuss on here, was just wondering what other people thought about it. There’s a healthy classified section on here, plenty of private selling going on. 1st owner warranty smacks to me of companies not having a vast amount of confidence in their product and reducing replacement costs, counting on buyers having sold the item on before the warranty is up so not having to honour it for the full term.

spooky_b329

Noticed an advert for a car recently (Kia?) where they were advertising that their cars came with a long warranty (7 or 10 years unlimited mileage?) but only applicable to first owner. Normally car warranties cover you regardless of how many owners it has had.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d say the warranty culture came about before (or ignorant of) stw-style changing of bikes/components like the wind in order to have “this year’s latest”.

If warranties becamse transferable, prices would go up.

D0NK

If warranties becamse transferable, prices would go up.

surely the prices would only need to go up if the product could not live up to it’s warranty.

How many companes are thinking our product is only good for 2 years but most owners will have sold it on before then so bang a 5 year warranty on it, we’ll sell more but won’t have to pay out much. The vauxhall lifetime warranty sounds like that, IME anyone who buys new cars generally change after 3-5years anyway so the “lifetime” warranty is no better than an average 3 or 5 year one.

ac282

I’m not sure about that.

My parents are about to trade in their 9 year old 100,000 mile car for another new one.

I’ve got a couple of uncles who do the same thing. They just buy a new car and keep driving it until they get a problem that will cost more to fix than the car is worth. One of them is driving a volvo they have had for 150,000 miles.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘First owner only’ is closed to new replies.