Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • First full suspension bike – Peak District
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve been living in the Peak District (Hayfield) for almost a year now and having a great time riding my Genesis Core, however, I’ve got an itch to buy my first full suspension bike. I intend to hold on to the hard tail so consequently want something that rides differently, probably something a bit slacker which will still climb well but make all day rides a bit more comfortable. Budget is round the £2k mark and so far the Canyon AL+ 8.0 appears a worthy contender: Linky Typical rides are around Hayfield, Marple, Edale but also the occasional trail centre trip.

Other suggestions are very much welcome and also opinions on whether this bike would suite the type of riding that I’ll be doing.

Cheers.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks like a good all rounder yeah.

I’d certainly consider one myself if I needed a new FS now – and it could take a 160mm fork if you later decided you’d like one.

Otherwise wait a bit and see what gets reduced in the sales? Stumpjumper Evo, Zesty, Remedy… 26″ wheel bike prices should go into freefall once the 2014 650b bikes start arriving.

😉

banks
    Free Member

Demo’d any? Suppose get over the 18 bikes & try out some or just buy any fs & let rip 🙂

Also, if the fs can’t except 2.4 rubber queen’s its not worth having

robhenry85
    Free Member

ive got the old one, Nerve AM 8.0x and find it great around the peaks 😉

when i was looking it just made sense for the price! got it at the start of last year! changed a few things like bars, stem, ect! great bike, the new one looks even better

mattrgee
    Free Member

Not had chance to demo anything yet, certainly with the Canyons there’s a leap of faith involved.

ive got the old one, Nerve AM 8.0x and find it great around the peaks

How do you find it climbs? There’s plenty of ‘ups’ round here as I’m sure you know, so what to be sure it can get me up as well as down.

Might try and pick up a bargain if the 2013 models go on sale once their 2014 range is announced.

El Guapo all the way!

thepodge
    Free Member

I don’t think I know two people that ride the same bike here in the Peak and we all do fine. Literary any bike will do

emmodd
    Free Member
    mattrgee
    Free Member

El Guapo all the way!

I hear what you’re saying about the El Guapo and Mr Ed Oxley is also a big fan, but the spec on the Canyons are pretty hard to beat.

I don’t think I know two people that ride the same bike here in the Peak and we all do fine. Literary any bike will do

I guess. Just don’t want to shoot myself in the foot buy buying some super slack monster that doesn’t climb and leaves be pining for the hard tail.

northernmatt

Have a mooch round classifieds on here and on Pinkbike and see if there’s a frame that catches your eye tha you can build up with all the best bits from your Genesis, something like a Giant Trance frame maybe. Then you don’t spend £2k on a mail order bike you might not get on with.

stomlinson
    Free Member

Giant reign good value for money and bang on your 2k budget wait a few months and see if you can grab a bargain

banks
    Free Member

+1 odd bunch of bikes round the peaks.

Seems that 140 – 160 full springys with big rubber reign supreme.

Also, congrats on not getting a 29er!

Get the Canyon – a mate has one and it’s fab – Peak riding and he is always up at the front.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Also, congrats on not getting a 29er!

Indeed!

I have been wondering though whether the 26″ is going to be part of Canyon’s 2014 range? Google is doing a bad job of translating this page but it seems to suggest that 29″ and 27.5″ will be part of Canyon’s 2014 range but perhaps not the 26″

Canyon’s 2014 range

When you seen companies such Orange going to 27.5 it makes you wonder whether 26″ is a good investment?

chakaping
    Free Member

Just don’t want to shoot myself in the foot buy buying some super slack monster that doesn’t climb and leaves be pining for the hard tail.

I think this is wise.

If I had just one FS bike I would go for a 140mm or 150mm bike with say a 67degree head angle – which could take a bigger fork if required.

Getting a 160mm bike and putting a 150mm fork on it would be cack.

Canyon will probably drop 26″ for 2014, but that doesn;’t mean it’s a bad investment. You’ll still be able to get spares for ages.

But if you’re paying full RRP and are tempted by slightly bigger wheels, you may as well wait.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Thanks.

I’ve seen a couple of places say the Canyon AL+ frame isn’t stiff enough. Has any experienced this first hand and is it something a mere mortal would notice?

mattrgee
    Free Member

Also, the fork 150mm on the AL+ can be locked out at 120mm. Would doing this steepen the head angle increasing it from 67 degrees? If so, would this make the bike a bit more trail originated when required rather than AM?

Ta.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Full sussers are so capable these days that – unless you’re a demon on the climbs – I’d be focusing on something that climbs well rather than going too “all mountain”. For every down in the Peaks you’ve got to slog up something first and the easier that is the better. I’m not suggesting some lightweight XC whippet, but the modern breed of 120 – 140mm ish full sussers are more than capable downhill.

Personally speaking I’d urge you to demo some rather than buy mail order, since sometimes what looks right on paper doesn’t suit you to ride. To give you an example, I bought a Transition Bandit earlier this year. On my shortlist was a Yeti ASR5 too. I thought the Yeti would blow me away, being light and stiff, but actually I didn’t get on with my demo ride at all. I just couldn’t gel with it. The Bandit, surprisingly, was much more capable uphill than I expected and is still more capable downhill than I’ll ever be!

[EDIT] – don’t dismiss the ubiquitous Orange 5. I demo’d it and loved it. The main reason I didn’t get one was the fact they’re a bit – um – common. Granted you might have to snoop around to get last season’s for your budget

robhenry85
    Free Member

the canyon has Talas so you can flick a switch and drop the travel so climbing is made a bit easier. i use it a lot and find it makes a difference. but as said any bike will do, just get fitter if struggling on climbs 😉

monksie
    Free Member

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/sight-2-2013-mountain-bike-ec041223

All the Peak District bike you’ll ever want.

Chuck me an email over if you’re interested. I can probably do a good deal for you.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If I were buying new I’d be looking at the Stumpjumper Evo Comp, Norco Sight or the YT 650b Wicked. The Canyon got a decent enough review in MBR this month- 8/10 and he seemed happy enough. I just got a Stumpjumper Evo, but the Sights are meant to be very good. The YT has a phenomenal spec, and I’d not worry about it being 650b- it’s not 29 so won’t have all the poor handling and feel that goes with 29″ wheels.

If you’re a newer rider I’d get one from within the UK, ideally within the area- if you’re not experienced in fixing bikes then having the shop on hand to go back to to sort out any issues will be very useful. If you’re experienced crack on and get the YT or Canyon, just order a mech hanger at the same time so you have one when you need it rather than having to wait for one from Germany and it’s fine.

mattrgee
    Free Member

If I were buying new I’d be looking at the Stumpjumper Evo Comp, Norco Sight or the YT 650b Wicked.

All the Peak District bike you’ll ever want.

Chuck me an email over if you’re interested. I can probably do a good deal for you.

I had considered the Stumpjumper but the lack of stock caused me to turn my attention else where.

I think I’ll call into Evans and have a look at the Norco as it does seem a pretty decent bike. How do the Revs compare to the Talas? I quite liked the idea of the CTD on the Fox fork as a simple way to change the suspension, is there anything similar of the Rock Shox forks?

munrobiker
    Free Member

The mags seem to be rating the latest Rockshox stuff as being better than CTD- they’ve all been quite scathing about the latest Fox stuff actually. I’ve gone for the new Pikes on mine, and have run Rockshox for the last 4 years or so, simply because I’m worried about Fox reliability.

The Revelation RL on the site simply has a lockout and rebound- it doesn’t get much more simple than that.

hora
    Free Member

Lapierre Zesty

rOcKeTdOg

it’s not 29 so won’t have all the poor handling and feel that goes with 29″ wheels.

*yawns*

mattrgee
    Free Member

Lapierre Zesty

I would, but the number of people reporting cracked frames is really worrying.

mattrgee
    Free Member

What’s the sizing like on the Norcos? Do they come up smaller or larger than average?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘First full suspension bike – Peak District’ is closed to new replies.