Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • First fixed commute to work!
  • luked2
    Free Member

Well, I didn't fall off.

Converted my ancient road bike to fixed (by, replacing the cranks. And the rear wheel. And, umm, the frame. I don't think my ever-loving wife noticed…).

That is one weird feeling. Getting on is a very strange experience, as you find your feet being inexorably rotated while you're trying to clip in. And stopping. Best avoided. There should definitely be a new law that allows people on fixed bikes to jump red lights, purely in the interests of safety.

It's lovely and silent, but you just *must* keep the legs turning. Everywhere I normally coast, I found myself being launched out of the bike.

Weird. Not sure if I like it or not. We shall see.

thepodge
    Free Member

As much as I find riding fixed wrong I still love it

cynic-al
    Free Member

It's fun to learn, can help with pedalling I think too.

tony_m
    Free Member

Stick with it – it really does become second-nature pretty quickly. You'll soon find you don't need to concentrate on what you're doing all the time, which frees the brain up for thinking about all sorts of other cr@p. 😀

As for clipping in, double-sided pedals make it a lot easier. I use Speedplay Frogs, and just clip in with my right foot, set off, and then let my left foot follow the pedal round until it's connected too.

Think the only issue I regularly have is if I have to come to a complete stop, and can't engineer it so the cranks are already in the right position to set off again – hoicking the back wheel up and spinning them round until they are can be a bit of a pain, especially in traffic. Suppose I should really learn to trackstand… 😳

And don't stop pedalling!!! 😉

Haze

Trackstand, hop the back wheel up and spin the cranks into position. Learn to do it 'switch' as well.

I only have difficulty when I end up with the cranks at 6 o'clock 😐

yesiamtom
    Free Member

red lights are track standing competitions (with yourself)

I love my fixie for commuting, looks like shite but rides fine. Now im thinking about fixed mountain biking. Careful, its contagious 😐

i think out of no-one riding fixed at work 4 of us are on them now…all of us being serious cyclists the rest being pansies.

thepodge
    Free Member

I just got back from a spin round town on the SS after riding the fixed for ages, half way it it suddenly clicked that I could freewheel. I also found I couldn't track stand for toffee

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘First fixed commute to work!’ is closed to new replies.