Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • First fell race – any tips?
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

cp -did you do Bradwell on Tuesday?

Smee
    Free Member

Nope. It refers to being overtaken be a fell runner that I know.

surfer
    Free Member

Many a top male fell runner has been "Mudged"

Possibly the best fell runner the UK has ever produced.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Ah. I have googled more thoroughly now.

I don't reckon I am likely to be mudged. But only because she probably wouldn't deign to enter our little Derbyshire race, I'm sure I will be beaten by several women.

Looking at the weather, it is pissing it down, maybe that'll stop some people turning up meaning I'll get a higher position? Or is that not what fell runners are like?

Joe

cp

rogerthecat – yep!!

came 26th – was well chuffed 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

In that case I saw you – was part of the huge crowd that cheered and clapped!!!
    No idea who you were tho, but a nice race and a good result.
    Get yourself in shape for this one next year: Wolf's Pit Fell Race

Check out the winning time for this year – he flew round!!

joemarshall
    Free Member

22nd out of 77. Not bad for a somewhat infrequent jogger (83km so far this year), although I guess all the hill walking helps too, and I do tend to hurry a bit when I'm out on the hills. It seemed to me like all except the top 10 or so runners were pretty slow up the hills, about the same speed as me on the downhills, but blimey they go fast on the flat bits. I think I could do with some practice where I don't just run up or down a hill – sounds a bit boring to me, I only really like running up hills.

I think I had an advantage in that the course is very local to me, so I've ridden / walked all of it tons, so I knew exactly where I was all the time, and didn't take any wrong turns.

I had one completely out of control descent which was fun – there is no way I'd ride that particular section as fast on a bike, it is covered in rocks and roots and I was just jumping over them and trying vaguely to aim in the right direction. Overtook 3 people on that section, although the buggers just managed to get back past me on the next flat bit.

Not really aching this morning which is nice. I think my Art of Running book with it's funny Alexander Technique based way of running appears to work okay.

Joe

surfer
    Free Member

Well done Joe, excellent result.

One thing to remember is improving on the flat bits is just down to training so there is scope. If, like me, you descend slowly (and it doesnt sound like you do) that is harder to improve.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘First fell race – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.