Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • First Fat Foray – Gratuitous fat bike pondering redeemed by photos
  • thenorthwind

I’ve been fat curious for a while and had the opportunity to test the waters last week with a day’s hire in Aviemore. Thought I’d share my thoughts to add fuel to the fire that is fat chat on here, with some pictures to distract from my ramblings.

I hired the bike from Bothy Bikes in Aviemore. David was very helpful coming up with some thoughtful route suggestions, and I had a good chat with the guys before I left – they even made me an espresso. I couldn’t recommend them enough.

The bike: a 2016 Genesis Caribou in large. 2×10. Surly Nates front and back.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/E2NVUW]IMGP0472[/url] by Dave W, on Flickr

I started from the shop as I didn’t have my car with me. I rode out to Inverdruie on the Sustrans path, and then south to Loch an Eilein. A pretty much flat start, and I was surprised how quickly I forgot was on a fat bike. After the initial “how ridiculous is this?” feeling, it soon felt like just a bike – in a good way.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EXdeh9]IMGP0461[/url] by Dave W, on Flickr

The first thing I noticed was the wide Q-factor. It wasn’t something I’d thought about, but it felt quite strange, and occasionally uncomfortable.

Reaching Loch an Eilein, I picked my own line through the trees along the shore for a while, marvelling at just how much grip I had on improbable features.

I then started the slog up Glen Einich. Although the flat sections so far hadn’t been as draggy as I thought, the slightest gradient had a big effect. The extra rotating inertia was noticeable in carrying me over obstacles however.

Taking the high road round a recent landslip, I encountered the first real climb – short but steep. I made most of it, glad of the small ring, but grip eventually gave out on the steepest sections, which were covered in wet, sticky snow.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EP3kRW]IMGP0464[/url] by Dave W, on Flickr

Eventually the snow got deep enough that I could stand the bike up on without support, the better to take gratuitous shots like this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Er3vg6]IMGP0465[/url] by Dave W, on Flickr

From here on up it was a proper slog and I was struggling to keep going. I was struggling to take on enough energy to keep grinding, but had to keep going just to keep warm. It took quite a bit of concentration and strength just to keep the bike either in one groove of the doubletrack or on the faster but less stable centre, both hidden beneath the snow.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ERk71x]IMGP0469[/url] by Dave W, on Flickr

Eventually I made it to the bottom of Loch Einich, having probably averaged something like 2 or 3 miles an hour for the last few miles. I was rewarded with what passed for a break in the weather: the cloud rose just enough for me to make out the hills that enclose the loch, though not so far as the crags atop them.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EXdsko]IMGP0476[/url] by Dave W, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/E2NZJj]IMGP0479[/url] by Dave W, on Flickr

I did some star jumps for warmth, smashed down a sandwich and turned back into the wind, and the incoming snow. A couple of unpleasant miles followed while the blizzard continued, and I was seriously concerned about the tiny bits of exposed skin on my face. Goggles would have been a good shout. Progress was considerably faster when I managed to keep the tyres in my previous tracks.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/E39nMi]IMGP0483[/url] by Dave W, on Flickr

The rest of the descent down the glen was relatively uninteresting, spiced up by ignoring the diversion and negotiating the landslip, which yielded a slightly faster bit of singletrack.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EZwjo2]IMGP0486[/url] by Dave W, on Flickr

Reaching the tiny lochan at the bottom of the glen, the weather had become more benign, and I decided to add on an out and back to find some technical singletrack and put the bike through its paces. I’d seen how it handled on its own turf – now to see how it would fair on terrain better suited to a traditional trail bike.

Over the metal footbridge I went, heading towards Lairig Ghru. The climb was mildly technical, and although the extra grip was welcome, it was at this point I began to notice the low BB and wide Q-factor becoming a problem on rocky sections. Tiredness and lack of technique may have also been factors, and I was on flats (which I favour). I’m not convinced the extra grip was a net gain over the contact and stability of my full-sus.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/E39q66]IMGP0494[/url] by Dave W, on Flickr

At about 1400 feet, I caught my breath and threw the beast back down the trail for one last dance. I was caught unawares by a heavy dose of (type 1) fun. I was surprised at just how chuckable it was and how well it handled – nimble enough to pick a satisfying line, but with enough inertia to carry me through when fatigue (OK, lack of talent) got the better of me.

All in all, I’m glad I did this before taking the plunge and buying a fat bike, but in some ways it’s left more questions than answers. It’s given me a lot to think about: do I want a “proper” fat bike – simple, rigid steel – or a more traditional trail bike that happens to accommodate fat tyres? Or would the latter risk trying to cover too many bases with one bike? Would a lighter, aluminium-framed, bike improve the experience? Or lighter, tubeless wheels? What do I want from a fat bike? I wouldn’t have done this ride without one, but does that justify buying one? Will I use it? Will it replace my other bike like it has for others?

I guess I better ride some more fat bikes and see 8)

Route: https://www.strava.com/activities/508592160

roverpig

Now that’s my kind of review, thanks 🙂

I guess breaking through un-tracked wet snow is going to be a slog no matter what bike you are on, so maybe the question should be “could you have ridden that route on your usual bike?”. You certainly got some fantastic pictures, so maybe it’s worth it for that alone, but then it sounds as though you were only a mechanical away from freezing to death, so maybe not 🙂

The Q-factor comment is interesting. Some people seem not to care about a wide Q-factor, but you obviously do. I guess that shows the advantage of trying some before buying.

The Caribou is 4″ right? So you could go for a 5″ bike for even more float on the soft stuff, but then you get an even wider Q-factor.

For what it’s worth, I think your questions are the right ones i.e. what exactly would it be for? To allow you to ride places or in conditions where you wouldn’t go on any other bike? It sounds as though it might have ticked that box, but do you really want to ride a bike in those places/conditions anyway? From your last part it sounds like it was fun on the trails, but would your trail bike have been more fun?

Anyway, good luck with your experiments. As you say, it’s all good fun and I’m looking forward to the next installment.

scotroutes

Ironically (Bothy)Dave went up towards Loch Einich on the way home after work tonight

maccruiskeen

Never seen a bike look so moody

vorlich
    Free Member

I think if you go buy a fat bike in the UK with the sole intention of riding in the snow, you’ll be disappointed. We don’t get that much, and what we do get is often uncompacted and horribly wet. When I see the inevitable photos of North Americans riding neatly compacted/snowmobile trails under blue skies, I do get very jealous.

Admittedly, I’ve not done a huge amount of snow riding, but what I have done has been mostly slow and hard work. I assume finding some nice crust on decent terrain is really limited to a few areas.

As an all-round winter bike for sand/trails/snow, or as an expedition bike, I think they’re hard to beat.

johnnystorm

Looks like a great ride! 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Wow, you formed an opinion after actually riding the bike, that’s very rare in these parts!
    Vorlich has it spot on, fresh uncompacted wet snow is horrible to ride on on any bicycle

kayak23

Really enjoyed that thanks. Great write up and pictures.

I notice the Q-factor a fair bit too but seem to get used to it quite quickly. I wonder whether it may not do me knees any favours though.

At the end you mention that it was fun. For me, that answers all the questions. Every bike is a compromise in some areas. If it’s fun, it’s the right bike.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Well, that looks amazingly hard work and very wild. I am greatly impressed!

🙂

NormalMan

Great write up.

Personally hiring a fatbike for a weekend is why I now have one. Otherwise I’d still be looking at them longingly but telling myself they are only for snow and sand.

I had concerns over the Q factor, especially due to a dodgy hip but ironically I’ve not noticed and of anything I’ve had less pain post ride. A real surprise in all honesty.

I think you are right to ask what you want from it. I wanted ‘something different’ and so mine is old school but I’ve ended up using it on more rides than I thought so am increasing the travel on my HT by 20mm to increase the difference!

Thanks again for a great write up. Look forward to hearing what you end up doing.

thenorthwind

Thanks for all the comments 🙂

maybe the question should be “could you have ridden that route on your usual bike?”

Definitely! And in this case the answer is a definite no.

Ironically (Bothy)Dave went up towards Loch Einich on the way home after work tonight

I don’t even recognise it!

As an all-round winter bike for sand/trails/snow, or as an expedition bike, I think they’re hard to beat.

This is definitely more it. I love the idea of riding on snow and sand, and have good beaches nearby (Northumberland) and will have the odd snow day in the winter, but realise it’s a novelty. Expedition bike probably sums up what I’m looking for, and what I’m missing in my full-sus, which is overkill for long days out with moderate technical content. But if the fatty is heavier anyway, its arguably less suited to long days, so maybe I need to think about lighter fat options (which is probably a rabbit hole, and expensive at that!).

roverpig

I wonder whether the snow aspect of over-played with fatbikes.

I’ve been riding my plus-sized (2.8″) bike this winter. It is a bit better in the snow that the Five (with its 2.25″ tyres) that I was riding last year, especially as I can drop right down to 6psi on the snow, but it doesn’t actually make much difference in practice. I’m basically riding the same routes as I did last year with largely the same results. If the snow is light I can make progress and when it is deep or heavy I can’t. OK, maybe I can ride a few hundred yards further up the mountain before I get stuck, but the difference in the bikes is so much smaller than the variability in the conditions that it doesn’t really matter.

It’s got a bit more grip in general crappy trail riding conditions too, but again I’m not sure this is significant. The wheels are heavier. I could have presumably fitted super-sticky tyres to the Five which would probably have given the same grip and not weighed any more.

Maybe Northwind has it right; the justification for fatbikes is that they are a bit of a laugh.

rocketman
    Free Member

OP HOW much snow have you had 😯

I’ll never complain about wet trails again

nickgti
    Free Member

Great write up and amazing pictures thanks.

I can honestly say I’ve not noticed the Q factor on my fat bike at all, I got mine to ride the muddy wet boggy trails at my local woods. Something it does very well

thenorthwind

Interesting thoughts roverpig. Plus-size has crossed my mind too – I’m trying to ignore them to avoid deepening the quandary!

I’d probably get used to the feel of the wide Q-factor. It certainly wouldn’t stop me buying a fat bike, all other things being equal. What worries me more is the seemingly greater chance of pedal strikes, coupled with the low BB. The Caribou is quite a low bike, which is nice for stability, but I did notice it being a problem, as I mentioned.

Anyone got any BB height specs/measurements from other bikes?

zippykona

Regardless of bike that looks fantastic .

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This is definitely more it. I love the idea of riding on snow and sand, and have good beaches nearby (Northumberland) and will have the odd snow day in the winter, but realise it’s a novelty. Expedition bike probably sums up what I’m looking for, and what I’m missing in my full-sus, which is overkill for long days out with moderate technical content. But if the fatty is heavier anyway, its arguably less suited to long days, so maybe I need to think about lighter fat options (which is probably a rabbit hole, and expensive at that!).

I wouldn’t get too hung up on pigeon holing it, as you found they work perfectly well as a normal trail bike.

It’s probably slower on some trails, and where I find it faster there probably is an element of skill compensation (over a skinny XC bike, not an trail/enduro FS). But it’s still a whole heap of fun, and at the end of the day bike riding is fit into a spare number of hours, not a need to cover a number of miles, so speed/distances are less relevant than having fun and being able to go places.

roverpig

Plus-size has crossed my mind too – I’m trying to ignore them to avoid deepening the quandary!

The problem with plus-size, in my opinion, is that it’s neither fish nor fowl. It’s attractive as the change isn’t big enough to be scary, but that also makes it somewhat pointless too. Mind you, I thought that about 27.5 (a pointless compromise between two extremes that aren’t actually that extreme) and the rest of the world seems happy with it, so what do I know? It’s quite possible that 27.5×3 is indeed the perfect size for some people in some conditions, but I doubt it’s perfect for all people in all conditions.

I’ve never ridden a proper fat bike (something I’m planning to correct soon), but I’d wager that a plus-size bike makes a better all round trail bike. But you’ve already got a good trail bike. Do you need another?

takisawa2

I’d buy it based on the colour alone.
    Fab report Op. Really enjoyed that.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Great report and I’d love to live up that way and be able to ride my fatty in those conditions…as it’s likely to never see any snow down here 😆

6079smithw
    Free Member

nice story.
    Top of my wishlists are the Cube fatbikes for sus forked, or Bergamont for rigid.

superstu
    Free Member

Not fat bike curious (do like the look of the Genesis though) but did really enjoy reading that

northernerindevon

That’s a great write up! Good effort. I’d love a go on one but I don’t think its for me; a lack of snow and decent beaches down ‘ere in Brizzle. Our lass is coming round to the idea of N+1 but a fatty might be too far.

Hope you can come to a decision. Best of luck

scotroutes

It’s alright I suppose
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq3zelSxquc[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1TLbA5LAVo[/video]

dovebiker

This is fatbiking in snow!

For me it’s simply about riding in conditions and places you can’t with a regular MTB, but you can still have a whole heap of fun riding normal trails. Put your Strava away and simply go for a ride….

somafunk

Nice write-up thenorthwind – your user name is most apt for those dark n’ moody pics.

27.5 plus (3″ tyres) are pretty decent on snow as well, throw in a motor and it’s a hoot 😉

Glen Einich sure looks different with a bit of sunlight, taken last september

Above scott e-spark i demo’d from david at Bothy bikes last september – an hr later i returned and ordered the scott e-genius above

And above two pics back in April last year with my Tripster

MadBillMcMad

great & inciteful for one ride.

Q-factor – It can be an issue in rutted tracks & when it is annoying it is really annoying – I have an OnOne 4″ Fatty

I am currently trying to decide if 4 enough or not.

Personnally if I could start afresh I’d get a 5″ & a plus bike. I have just tested a 5″ Travers. It was great & I didn’t really find any issues with going up to 5″

For me it is more a bog bike. It allows me to ride routes (Lancashire) where others just fear to go & for me that is great. I can ride routes that are normally only available when it has been -10 for a week or +30 for 4 weeks – & how often is that

scotroutes

Loch Einich on a nicer day…

https://goo.gl/photos/qanZJz1vXvHiCgDs6

(Click for scrollable photosphere)

thenorthwind

Nice write-up thenorthwind – your user name is most apt for those dark n’ moody pics.

Thanks! Very true – the was directly from the north as well, up the glen. I didn’t notice it going up but certainly did coming back down!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘First Fat Foray – Gratuitous fat bike pondering redeemed by photos’ is closed to new replies.