Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • First fat bike
  • Denis99
    Free Member

Have to agree bedmaker.

The DT Swiss wheels are ace , I have them on both of my fat bikes, make a world of difference to have a fine set of wheels , easy to set up tubeless as well.

slimjim78
    Free Member

What do we think of Mulefut wheelsets then?

Denis99
    Free Member

only had the mulefut on my (now sold) Trek Stache 0.

Seemed to be good, paired with the DT Swiss hubs.

The DT Swiss BR2250 are very good in terms of build quality though.

I considered moving to carbon rims, but just couldn’t justify the extra cost vs the small weight reduction.

tillydog
    Free Member

The rims are fantastic for tubeless – easy to set up and really, really secure.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Does the dude come setup tubeless?
    If not any idea what the tubes weigh? Guessing there at least 400grams each, so should be able to get that weight down into the 27lbs

Any then add it all back on with a reverb lol

Anyone know what the hub spacing is, 150mm front, rear?

boltonjon

Sanny – Member
    Boltonjohn

That is a brilliant write up! You really do write well and made me laugh! Well done, sir!

Have you any more write ups you can point me to as I really enjoyed that one.

Cheers

Sanny

Thanks Sanny – really appreciate the feedback 🙂

It’s the only one i have written – the guy from fatbiking.eu asked me to do it the day after the event and the pain & despair was still very much at the front of my mind – so it was really cool to get to write something both to share and for my own memories 🙂

motozulu
    Free Member

This isn’t meant in any denigrating way – but it is making me chuckle a bit people werriting about the weight of a fat bike 🙂

Yes, yes I know they are raced as well. On the rims – the On One fatty Trail has own rims, obviously and while they seem fine atm, at some point I will be looking at upgrading them to DT Swiss or Mulefoot. This was always in my mind, but with such a great trail oriented frame and the rest of the kit you get on a 1k fat bike (Bluto’s for a start) – the savings I am making on say, a Canyon, will pay for the upgrade.

Swings and roundies, innit? 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Saving grams on a fat bike is a bit like fighting the tide. They’re definitely heavier than any other bike (BSOs excepted) so there’s not much point in over fussing.

Having said that, the wheels on my wife’s Surly Wednesday are significantly heavier than on my Puffin to the point where picking up my front wheel after hers makes me think I’ve picked up a 29er wheel by mistake. Both are set up tubeless and somewhat surprisingly hers has lighter rims however her tyres (Nates 27TPI) are nearly 400g heavier than mine (Vanhelgas 120tpi). The Wednesday is a stock bike built to a price whereas the guy who I bought the Puffin from had bespoke wheels made etc.

puffballs
    Free Member

I’m running a Mulefut wheelset on my Wednesday, really good rims, easy to set up tubeless, rubbish bearings, change before they disintegrate. Only wheelset I’ve ever had front hub bearings fail on ever.

Denis99
    Free Member

Saving grams on a fatbike

Well it depends how many grams and where.

Wheels andtyres are probably the best place to save the grams. Going tubeless is desirable, my fat bike tubes weighed in at 550g each.

If you buy a carbon frame, Sonder Vir Fortis, you can build a very light fat bike, mine comes in at 12kg with a Lauf fork without any bling apart from the DT Swiss BR2250 wheelset.

Very comfy as well with low pressures.

I think a lot of the weight conception is still from the heavier steel framed bikes out there. But I will agree that weight is just part of the equation.

zippykona

I put on light tyres, silly light tubes that were too small, a light seat post and took off all my mudguards in the summer. Must have saved nearly 3 lbs.
    I couldn’t tell any difference.

whitestone
    Free Member

@Denis99 – both our bikes are steel framed though I’ve got a carbon fork. Total weight of my bike (inc pedals) is 14.3Kg which when you lift the bike is noticeable but once you are riding then you don’t notice it and since I’m riding it more than lifting it … Then again once there’s 100Kg of rider and kit sat on top of the bike 🙄

Really don’t know why Surly spec the 27tpi Nates for the Wednesday, they’d improve things no end by putting the 120tpi version on for very little cost at their end (I think there’s only £15 difference retail) as well as saving 800g in the right place.

I do notice a big difference in how the bike feels between summer tyres (Husker Dus) and winter tyres (Vanhelgas) with virtually no difference in weight, and we are talking grams here, going through a patch of mud will change the bike’s weight more.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Lighter wheels (rims) and tyres, plus running tubeless can easily make a notable difference. It’s not different to saving weight on any other bike. No, wait, it’s even BETTER. I don’t get why people think an extra inch or so width on wheels means they have to accept riding an anchor.

rubbish bearings, change before they disintegrate. Only wheelset I’ve ever had front hub bearings fail on ever.

Cartridge bearings right? Where did you source sizing/replacements?

Goldigger
    Free Member

Those that have ordered/have a canyon dude what size did you go for?
    I’m 5’9″ 31″ inside leg, canyon are saying a small… i would have thought medium..

tillydog
    Free Member

The Bontrager front hub on my Trek Farley Mulefut rims uses 2 x 18307 bearings.

Got mine here as I’ve just had to replace them (14 months / 1000 miles). There is no seal on these hubs, just a ‘shield’ built into the endcaps.

I don’t know if the hub on the Mulefut wheelset is different.

phy7tes
    Free Member

Goldigger – I’m just under 6ft and got a large (despite them recommending a medium), it’s spot on. I’d go for medium if I were you.

puffballs
    Free Member

@slimjim78

Yeah, 6804 bearings for the front wheel, I got SKF 618042RS1 from simplybearings, though could probably have gotten cheaper elsewhere.
    These are for the Sun SRC fat hubs that come with the mulefut wheelset.

I’ve not done the rears yet, but believe they are 6902 bearings.

NormalMan

zippykona – Member
    I put on light tyres, silly light tubes that were too small, a light seat post and took off all my mudguards in the summer. Must have saved nearly 3 lbs.
    I couldn’t tell any difference

Great stuff.

Must confess I just resign myself to my fatbike being heavy. Mudguards etc stay on year round, as do the Nates.

I did remove a few pounds worth of mud for the summer though!

Goldigger
    Free Member

Goldigger – I’m just under 6ft and got a large (despite them recommending a medium), it’s spot on. I’d go for medium if I were you.

Thats what i was thinking…both my 5 and anthem are a M/17.5″, Surely a small would be to small?
    Id have to settle for the 9.0 as they have no mediums in the 9.0SL, that means i’ll replace with a XT M8000 groupset rather than the SLX and XT ten speed!

phy7tes
    Free Member

Id have to settle for the 9.0 as they have no mediums in the 9.0SL, that means i’ll replace with a XT M8000 groupset rather than the SLX and XT ten speed!

I got the 9.0, thought it was better value, put on a sunrace 11-42 cassette, a 30T oval (when I can get hold of the (seemingly impossible to obtain) e-thirteen crank removal tool) and put the money saved towards a dropper etc …

Goldigger
    Free Member

Phy7tes
    What size did you get, how tall inside leg etc?

bedmaker

hose that have ordered/have a canyon dude what size did you go for?
    I’m 5’9″ 31″ inside leg, canyon are saying a small… i would have thought medium..

Same height and leg as me – I’m on a Medium, and I like to err on the small side. I’d go medium if I was you.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Cheer Bedmaker
    Do you have a dropper on yours? I’m wondering if there’s room for a reverb with it fully extended..

bedmaker

Yep, 125mm reverb. Could drop a further 50mm or so if need be. See picture above.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Brilliant…Thanks I’ve ordered a medium

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘First fat bike’ is closed to new replies.