Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • First ever commute…
  • tinsy
    Free Member

Rode from Fenchurch st to Soho, managed to break every road/pedestrian law known to man except speeding(need a big ring for that one), its not big and its not clever but I think I came 2nd…

Can anyone let me know a way of planning a bike freindly route accross town please, my nerves were jangling when I got here.

I just need to survive London, just comuting so I can get an offroad ride in on my way home.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the traffic’s a bit nervewracking at first but you’ll soon get used to it

rOcKeTdOg

develop sticky out elbows and an attitude

rather you than me in the dirty london though

brakes
    Free Member

ride aggresively – everyone is your enemy
    be very cautious around bendy buses, tipper lorries, skip lorries and Lewis Day couriers
    scooters aren’t dangerous but are idiots and are fun to taunt

don’t verbalise your aggression, take it out on the bike
    and don’t run red lights, because if I see you I may tut quite loudly

tinsy
    Free Member

Red lights, one ways, and pedestrian areas all got abused today I need a better route, trouble is I just dont know the street route yet, have been told TFL have a bike route finder thing am going to have a look at that because I felt too guilty riding the way I did.

takisawa2

Two kids in a trailer so I’m using the path, right or wrong.
    The short section I do use is rarely used by pedestrians though, & on the 3 occasions over the last 9 months I have met someone I’ve moved for them anyway.
    Went through a red light today though, after dropping the kids off. Felt a bit naughty after.

theflatboy
    Free Member

it terms of route, tinsy, it’s fairly straightforward isn’t it – cheapside, high holborn, shaftesbury ave and up into soho…

tinsy
    Free Member

theflatboy, your right but just wasnt sure enough of the route so dropped down onto the embankment I kind of went the same way as the tube does just overground.

But yes, your right, that would be the more direct route.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

well done. I rode into Canary Wharf today and the roads were very quiet probably because everyone is ‘WFH’ cos of G20. Set my PB of 66 minutes for an 18 mile commute 8)

Will be the same tomorrow and Friday but if you continue next week expect the traffic to be heavier.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

oh and tips for riding in town? Here’s a few thoughts of mine (tongue firmly in cheek)based on that survival guide for cyclists in Bangkok that someone posted a week or so ago

1/ “ensure you spit violently and voluminously over your right shoulder at irregular intervals. This not only makes cars keep their distance but is for the prevention of too many other riders drafting you”

2/ “If you are battling to stay in front of another rider as testosterone driven etiquette demands but you are feeling them gaining on you, reach nonchalantly down to your drink bottle and pretend that you are slowing down for a drink thereby saving face”

3/ “Never, ever, ever make it look as if you are trying too hard. You must practice a look of insouciance on your face whilst putting as much power through the pedals as possible”

The Survival Guide for the Cyclist

tinsy
    Free Member

Ha ha, yeah the one bloke that passed me today was on the same train into town as I was, and he quite obviously had a mission, I dropped him in the heat of the worst traffic but he passed me pushing hard on a massive gear while I was spinning out, I only run 9 speed, he didnt get far past before he looked like he was flagging, I will have him next time…

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

he didnt get far past before he looked like he was flagging

they make me laugh. they ‘have’ to get past you but then either flag desperately and you go past them again or they pass you only to turn off the main road as they are home and i still have 10 miles (or whatever) still to go.

Mainly testosterone filled guys in their 20’s who can’t stand to see an old bloke with grey hair (me) in front of them… 😆

tinsy
    Free Member

I wont meet too many on my offroad excursion at the other end of my journey tonight, and the wether is ace, looking forward to that bit, I will leave the serious commuter race to you..

ads-b
    Free Member

Rode in today on my road bike (26miles). Got passed on a flat bit of road by a guy wearing a hi-vis vest and mx helmet riding a £50 Halfords job. Got no excuses. Promise to try harder on the way home.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Red lights are fair game IMO under the folowing circumstances:

*Green lights for pedeatrians, either at junctins, crossroads or pelican/toucan crossings.

*Turning left into trafic you can keep pace with.

But thats just my opinion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘First ever commute…’ is closed to new replies.