Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • First Carbon Bike. Do I need to do anything special?
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Just got a Planet X XLS. Really pleased with it, only had one ride but loved it. However, as its my first carbon framed bike, just wondered if there is anything I need to do to keep it in tip top condition beyond what I’d typically do with an aluminium or steel framed bike? Or are there any cleaners, lubes etc I should use or keep well away from the carbon?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’ve never treated my plastic bikes any different but if you do your own spannering then some carbon paste and torque wrench are nice to have but not essential.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Just don’t leave it next to the fire…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t forget to store it upside down. Standard for carbon frames.

warpcow
    Free Member

Rub it down with a rag dipped in piss. It helps the fibres settle. Needs to be done after the first couple of hundred km or else the frame can become deformed. Ideally it’s something you should keep up with at least once a year or so.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i use carbon wash – might be overkill but it cost a lot and i like to look after my stuff.

sandwicheater

Assume you’ve sacrificed a kitten to the carbon gods? If not done in the first couple of days you best up it to a kitten, granny and baby robin.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Don’t forget the carbon assembly paste…

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve never done anything to my carbon road bike, it’s battered and beaten and there’s a chunk taken out of the chainstay where the wheel shifted on a big climb. That was 8 years ago 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘First Carbon Bike. Do I need to do anything special?’ is closed to new replies.