Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • First bike for a newbie in Sheffield / N Wales
  • opusone
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to buy my first mtb and wondered if anyone had any advice for me. I’ve got about £500 – 600 to spend but only the vaguest idea of what I should look for at that price (i.e. hardtail, hydraulic brakes).

Would it be best just going to a shop and just buying the bike that’s closest to that price range? If so would anyone have any advice about where to go either in Sheffield or nearby, or over in North Wales? Any advice about what not to do would also be helpful.

Thanks
    Nick

ton

if i was new to mountain biking and had that amount to spend on a bike i would buy a specialized rockhopper.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/rockhopper-2011-mountain-bike-ec024978?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

a proper capable mtb at not too much cost.
    the frame is same as the one on the £1000 model, so well worth adding good upgraded stuff to as you break bits.

ahwiles
    Free Member

genesis core?

(£650 – sorry – try haggling?)

at your budget, you should be looking at an aluminium-framed hardtail, which is a very good thing.

Give or take a few component changes here and there, most bikes will be more or less the same.

try and get a few test rides, go for the one that you like the feel of. If you can’t quite decide after that, go for the one that you like the look of.

find a few riding-chums, with good spare-parts-bins, and borrow/try longer/shorter stems, wider/narrower wider handlebars, wider/narrower tyres.

get some skills training – there’s no point spending years learning bad habits.

Raindog
    Free Member

Choice of bike will come down to your preference of hardtail (front suspension only) or full suspension. A new, half decent (ie fit for purpose) hard tail is within your budget, but you’ll need to stretch a little further to buy a new full suspension bike that will do the job.
    I’d suggest a second hand Boardman full suspension (FS), although the “Team” model is currently reduced to £800 brand new if you can stretch to this. Boardman is Halfords own brand, and represents excellent value for money.

The nearest North Wales trail centre to you is at Llandegla Forest close to Wrexham. If you come over drop me an email, there are a few of us that get out round here quite often, beginners always welcome.

br
    Free Member
    stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=12433&f_SupersetQRY=C437&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018340

That is actually in the budget you mention, leaving some money for future upgrades or other bits and pieces and they have stores in Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield. Only got a 16″ left which might be a problem.

thepodge
    Free Member

the bike tree are very good. they’ll help you out but might be a bit pricier than you’d like

deanfbm
    Free Member

Im from the bike tree, thanks for the kind words.

Pop in, we’ll do our best for you. I could give advice over here, but it normally works out a lot better having the face to face interaction, instant feedback and actually slinging your leg over the bike in the car park.

Also, our shop rides are back on, wednesday evenings. So you being a beginner, it’ll be a good way to meet others, we’ll happily give you pointers on technique too out on the ride. Come make some friends, it’s nothing serious, more of a social mingle with customers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

stretch to a boardman FS
    That bike [edinburgh]looks good value for the price
    Try riding a FS and a hardtail to see which you prefer

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

ive got a 2010 model fs bike for sale, email me at nick_christy@hotmail.com for spec and pics

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘First bike for a newbie in Sheffield / N Wales’ is closed to new replies.