• This topic has 57 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • First bike for a 2yr old at Christmas
  • hora
    Free Member

Well technically 2yr old-ish.

Which, what? A sort of balance bike? but which one?

Bregante
    globalti
    Free Member

Islabikes. Start the way you intend to carry on.

Harry_the_Spider

Isla Bike Rothan.

Expensive but very good.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5fpN0CRNrA[/video]

…and cocking it up

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocSY6QsSnzg[/video]

ton

i got 2, for both grandaughters.

a decathlon one and a specialized one, both are very nice too.

hora
    Free Member

£120 😯 for a kids bike? Don’t Halfords make deathtraps toddler bikes?

decathlon one and a specialized one

How much roughly?

Edit, got it: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-ride-id_8175413.html

Do you lot fit X0 rear mechs as well? 😆

skiprat
    Free Member

groupon had a kiddimoto offer on the other day £30 (ish) rings a bell. I can get one of the girls in the office to have a look.

hora
    Free Member

For a moment I thought you said

I can get one of the other girls in the office to have a look.

Yes please 🙂

Or I could get horajunior to give your Lapierre a PROPER ride, how it should be ridden :mrgreen:

doodlebug
    Free Member

Without doubt a Isla balance bike, it’s the best !! Look after it and when you resale it on eBay, you will only loose around £20’ish pound from the cost when new. No brainer ….. 😆

hora
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – that face plant 😯

vinnyeh

Pick one at random- by next Christmas they will have had at least 6 others.
    I’m sure none of them will have the correct geometry, anyway- otherwise why would she fall off?

slightbreeze
    Free Member

Go for a balance bike, two wheels, no pedals, no stabilizers. My son rode his for a year then went straight over to a pedal bike without stabilizers.

hora
    Free Member

vinnyeh Specialized, Santa Cruz etc tend to make frames that have a decent set of geometry so if I bought him one of those he’d know he’d got a proper bike… 😆

skiprat
    Free Member

haha why not just give him your Santa cruz, sorry your Turner 10, sorry your Turner 11, sorry your Enduro for a blast…perhaps he can tell you how well it rides uphil 😆

binners

Buy him an Islabike Rothan. Actually:, I was looking at the Scoot ones in the LBS the other day. They look good too, and a bit cheaper at £99. You could get him a pink one, just to start a bit of gender confusion from an early age 😉

hora
    Free Member

haha why not just give him your Santa cruz, sorry your Turner 10, sorry your Turner 11, sorry your Enduro for a blast…perhaps he can tell you how well it rides uphil

Ouch, busted 8)

rewski
    Free Member

Remember they want a bike that’s fun, and yes that might mean it needs a ben 10 logo on it or a pink basket, the trouble with islabike’s is that they look boring to a kid, a £120 bike is wasted on a 2 year old.

stumpy01

My nephew had a Puky balance bike. You can get them from Amazon for about £60, I think.

John Lewis had a funky plywood ‘chopper’ style one in the window the other day…

£100 though!

vinnyeh

Ouch, just looked at Rothan price- £130 including delivery. That’s a fifty percent price hike in the three years since we got ours.

hora
    Free Member

I like the look of the Puky and a good price. Interms of fun- I bet you could use kid-friendly paint and spruce it up with lively colours as well.

£130. That is pandering to the rich IMO.

Gunz
    Free Member

Look after it and when you resale it on eBay

You’re a better man than me if you can get your kids to look after their Rohan, ours looks like it’s been used to hammer fence posts in (good luck to the kids I say, rather it got used to destruction than left in the shed).

binners

Says the man who doesn’t bat an eye-lid at spunking £1000+ on yet another frame every other week. You really really couldn’t make it up

*stands back and applauds the monumental lack of self awareness*

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ducati 916 with stilts to operate the gears and brake. and stabilisers.

the child will be king (or queen) of the nursery.
    or dead, but will have shined like a crazy diamond

GW
    Free Member

lidl or aldi (can never remember which is which 😳 ) are doing a cheap plastic one soon.

My 2ish year old will be getting her third bike this christmas, but her first with pedals, a spesh hotrock. cannae wait, had it stashed away for a while now and it’s been quite difficult not to just give it to her.

binners

£90 for a Ridgeback Scoot here tight-arse:

spend money on my child? Pah! I need another set of forks!

StirlingCrispin

Adams Runabout Bike – £60 or so,
    linky

Brilliant bits of kits – and then get them an Isla Bike Cnoc 14 when they reach 3.

nbt

And how much did your last bike cost? are we talking an order of magnitude in the difference in price? or twice that?

Islabikes cost more becasuse they’re very well specced and very light compared to other, similar bikes. My nephew went from a 20″ wheel dawes bike to a 24″ wheel islabike. the islabike is a hell of a lot lighter, and for kids that weight makes a massive difference

GW
    Free Member

FFS! calm down! we’re only talking about a kids toy here really not an actual bike. 8)
    there’re barely any components on a balance bike to make any of them overly heavy anyway.
    kinda ironic that everyone on here jumps up and down to recommend Islabikes expensive aluminium balance bike when most will happily buy a 1-2 lb heavier hardtail frame just so they can have one made from steel 😆

Gunz
    Free Member

had it stashed away for a while now and it’s been quite difficult not to just give it to her

I know what you mean, my 3 yo boy has a Cnoc 14 waiting for him in the shed and I’m almost as excited about giving it to him as he will be receiving.

hora
    Free Member

And how much did your last bike cost?

You know thats given me an idea… why not source a Striker and a Grifter for when hes abit older so he too can have that misty-eyed experience.

binners

Don’t get one yet though Hora. If it fell on him, he’d be a gonner!!!

hora
    Free Member

Well we all know Raleigh Choppers are sent by Satan. Everyone I know who owned one badly skinned their knee(s) or arms

stumpy01

That IslaBikes Rothan really is a trick looking bike 😆

He’ll be the envy of all his playmates in the sandpit……and he’ll really appreciate the 7005 T6 aluminium frame.

You can even add an allen key to adjust the saddle height,in the customise option. Only £6.99. For an allen key!

hora
    Free Member

All the power to the IslaBikes founder. Great USP etc. Personally I think its ok but how long do you use it for? On Ebay all of them are sub-£50 at the mo.

I think I’ll go down the Decalthon route…

nbt

On Ebay all of them are sub-£50 at the mo.

checked finished auctions?

Harry_the_Spider

Personally I think its ok but how long do you use it for?

My lad has been riding his for 2 years, he’s just turned 4. Can’t get the bleeder off it despite him having a pedal bike (Ridgeback MX14) to move up to. His sister is almost big enough for the Rothan now and is itching to have a go, so there may be trouble ahead.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

£120 for a kids bike? Don’t Halfords make deathtraps toddler bikes?

You can tell he’s fromYorkshire, can’t you? 😐

Tighter than a gnat’s chuff….

GW
    Free Member

I think its ok but how long do you use it for?

I get the impression from the ribbing you get on here that my 2 yr old will probably already have used her balance bike more than you ever use a bike before changing it for something else.

hora
    Free Member

GW you are still upset after the comment I made on a different thread aren’t you?

althepal

My boys 2nd birthday present.. Turned two a fortnight ago.
    Not keen at first, esp about the helmet but is asking to get into the conservatory now to have a shot.
    Think it’s £30 in decathlon at the mo..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘First bike for a 2yr old at Christmas’ is closed to new replies.