Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • First Alps Holybobs Advice (its that time of year)
  • makkag
    Free Member

Right Been riding in earnest for a year after knee’s packed in and I was unable to play competitive football anymore and I have truly been bitten.
    So much so that after driving round the Alps last year and seeing all the fun people were having I decided on a whim to book myself a holiday last month to Les Gets on my own with me bike.
    Im going out on 12th June The lifts are I understand localised to Les Gets and Morzine until the PPDS so I am hoping the trails will be less busy and I will be able to build up my confidence on the trails without annoying many seasoned bikers by going so slow.
    Now if I’m honest I guess I feel I’m in a bit at the deep-end here as I have not got that much experience in all this. I normally ride XC am 32 relatively bike fit distance and climbs are no issue but the worst of the rough stuff I have ridden is the Aston Hill XC loop, Bike – I ride a 2008 Cube Acid Hardtail and have slowly upgraded parts to Reba Races and Full XT Drive and brakes Currently Got a Set of Crossride’s on . I can do minor Repairs and have got the following parts spares ready to put on or to go with me.

4x Downhill Tubes
    1x Dual Ply High Roller for Rear
    1x Single Ply St High Roller For front
    2x Spare Pads
    1x Spare Rear Mech
    1x Spare Mech Hanger
    1x Multitool

Im intending if the bike and body allows to ride 4 out of the 7 days,

I guess the question I’m asking is have I got most of it covered is there anything else I need to know ??
    Will the bike make it ?
    Any trail recommendations?
    Should I Take full waterproofs?
    Have I bitten off more than I Can chew ..
    The list is bloody endless and a bit of advice would be great

Many thanks in advance for your assistance

TheFlyingOx

Never been biking in the Alps before so I could be talking total gash, but I would imagine a bigger-forked bike would be a lot more suitable for alpine riding. Maybe see about hiring one for a week.

No doubt there will be more experienced folk along in a minute to tell me I’m wrong, you’re wrong, and the only acceptable bike for Les Gets is a rigid singlespeed with V-brakes.

TheFlyingOx

Just had a look at Les Gets. Seems there’s more than enough XC stuff. Your bike will be fine.

makkag
    Free Member

Thanks for taking the time to have a look , my research into the place kinda says i should be ok .. but allways looking out for advice

chakaping
    Free Member

Can I just play devil’s advocate and say that you’ll probabluy want a FS bike when you get back anyway – so why not buy it beforehand?

richc
    Free Member

Loads of XC stuff about, and you will be fine on a hardtail.

pads, mech hangers etc are a good idea. However I wouldn’t bother with DH tubes as they are very heavy, personally I use tubeless and carry two freeride tubes just incase.

You certainly won’t need a Dual ply tyre and DH tubes, and if you put both on it will make your bike very slow and heavy to climb/accelerate.

Definitely take a coat, as you are in the mountains and the rain comes in quickly.

Also I would look at getting some 661 knee pads, as that way a stupid fall won’t ruin the rest of your holiday.

makkag
    Free Member

thanks again for the advice

Not got the luxury of tubeless im afraid (Next purchace is a nice new wheelset) but will take the advise on the tubes and double ply thought it sounded like overkill but better safe than sorry ! deffo Taking Pads with me as well.

snaps
    Free Member

Biggest problem for me was the caning my arms & legs took from the decents that are many times longer than anything I’d done before – forearms were burning on the second day.

nickjb
    Free Member

Kit wise that all sounds fine. You don’t need masses of spares as the bikes shops are well stocked and not that pricey. Take a couple of tubes on every ride, torn valves can be an issue. You will be limited to quite a small area unless you do a lot of climbing. Theres a couple of nice longer rides that involve a bit of climbing and a bit of lifting that are well worth doing. With the few lifts that are open then you can probably do everything waymarked in Les Gets in a day or two, then re-ride the bits you like or head over to the non-lifted areas for some very punishing climbs. The trails should be pretty smooth, we tend to go late in the season when they are covered in braking bumps. 2nd buying some knee pads or a bit more armour, you’ll be riding pretty fast after a few days and you don’t want an off to ruin it.

There’s plenty of other fun to be had. The white water rafting is great, there’s via ferrata, not sure if the fantasticable is open, though.

makkag
    Free Member

Nick many thanks , I intend on doing some rafting (its inclusive in the package i got with A/E i have heard they aint that great but a bed and a bike is all im interested in this year !)im staying at the hotel Christiana which on ballance looks nice enough.. I hope The fantasticable is open as i have seen the video and its a definate want to do .. I have some brand x body armor as well as leg pads doing nothing in the cupboard so will throw them in the bag just in case i start getting a little brave !

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Have fun.

Squeeze an old tennis ball, gets you used to some arm pump.

BoardinBob

On a semi related note, I’m off to Morzine for the first time at then end of July. I only have a 120mm full bouncer, will I die?

Mark_K

LOL I’m traveling there on the 2nd July on my own in a motor home for the first time and I only have 130mm travel so best make sure I got good insurance! As it would appear you die with any less than 160mm travel lol

UK-FLATLANDER

There’s plenty that you’ll be able to ride on the Cube. Definitely take waterproofs the thunderstorms can soak you very quickly. Might be worth considering upping the size of rotors – more power and less heat build up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘First Alps Holybobs Advice (its that time of year)’ is closed to new replies.