• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by luke.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • First Aid for Scouts…
  • hopefiendboy

Have to knock up a quick first aid thing for some Scouts covering the basics- anyone done this before or have any suggestions for easy online resources for this?

Printable sheets/ quiz etc?

Cheers in advance!

McHamish
    Free Member

When I was in the scouts the St Johns Ambulance came round with one of those torso dummies.

somouk
    Free Member

I would say you would have more luck getting St John in. Are you first aid qualified in the first place to teach it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep, st johns or similar

midlifecrashes
    z1ppy

Got a couple of ipads? Lifesaver app or website:
    https://life-saver.org.uk/

MoreCashThanDash

Unless you are qualified to teach it, get the experts in.

Red Cross did my first aid badge c1984. Also my work one last year.

Edit – British Heart Foundation did a “Heart start” (?) Session on CPR for daughters Rainbow group, could be a start

Edit – can I just add that as a member of our Group exec committee, we’d be very unhappy if a non-qualified person was trying to teach our young people First Aid, well intentioned as it may be.

A quick quiz to test those who have already had some training would be a different matter.

luke
    Free Member

Is it just to test there knowledge or to work towards one of the staged badges? If towards the staged badges are they all at the same standard?
    Levels 1 and 2 are very basic and easy to teach, anyone with reasonable first aid knowledge should be able to teach level 3.
    Levels 4 or 5 i’d get someone in who is a recognised trainer.

MoreCashThanDash – If my group exec insisted on non-qualified people being brought in to teach first aid, I’d be a bit annoyed, especially as those that teach first aid to leaders in a lot of counties/districts aren’t qualified.

Within my group we have an army first aid trainer (who doesn’t hold civilian quals), a nurse practitioner in A&E (not qualified to teach), a cardiac nurse (not qualified to teach) and myself who holds several first aid quals via work in search and rescue but again no quals. We have more than enough experience and skills to teach the whole remit but stick to 1,2,3, as we don’t have the right paperwork to be entitled to award it.

The British Heart Foundation were allowing schools and groups to apply for a cpr kit to teach cpr to more people, if they still do these it’s well worth applying for them.

MoreCashThanDash

I maybe wasn’t clear, I was thinking of a leader with their own First Aid badge training Scouts using that level of knowledge. A&E staff or army instructors would obviously be fine.

Sui
    Free Member

Hope, having been trained to provide lessons (army) i would ensure that if you are to do this it is nothing more than an “interest” observation, as opposed to lesson. Unfortunately, as soon as you start teaching first aid you open yourself up to a world of regulated pain.

Pragmatically though, Red Cross is good as is St John’s they both have pamphlets that you can effectively read from.

have a butchers here

The best free first aid manuals

hopefiendboy

Hi!
    Thanks for the responses! Its more an information evening than teaching, what to do in the event of an accident etc. The teaching of specifics will be left to St John’s or St Andrews members. Some good resources there .
    Thanks !

luke
    Free Member

Scouts level 1-3 can be taught by anyone, regardless of there knowledge but it basically covers the same as the required level of training the leaders need to undertake.

We have in the past just gone for a walk and all of a sudden something happens to one of the leaders or Scouts and then the rest need to react. If there likely to go out hiking drill home about hypothermia it’s one of the things ours have struggled with in the past.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘First Aid for Scouts…’ is closed to new replies.