Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • First 29er?
  • Elmo
    Free Member

My bike to work bike has been paid off for a while, thought I may get another one.
    Royal Mail restrict it too £500, they feel this is enough and it must be through Halfords.
    My FS and HT needs are pretty much taken care of.
    I thought it may be a chuckle to a 29er.

They’re currently advertising this, it may well get a little cheaper.

http://tinyurl.com/6f6fls4

Half decent start into 29er-ing? Apart from the fork which will die in 6 months!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Hi Elmo, I have one of those and it is a heavy old beast. I’m about to change the fork to a carbon rigid and the gearing to 1×9. How tall are you? They come up pretty large, the 18″ is actually more like a 20″!

fenred
    Free Member

Blimey! Heavy or not thats a bargain at that money.

How does it ride bagstard?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bol

The whole Voodoo range in Halfords looks really well specced and excellent value. Go for it and upgrade as stuff dies.

Bagstard
    Free Member

To b e honest I haven’t used it much off road, but it has been pretty good when I did. The remote lockout on the fork is good, but it’s a little under sprung for my weight. I’m looking at losing a pile of weight from it and getting a good use of it through the winter.

Elmo
    Free Member

Im 5’9″, about 16 stone.

People seem to like the Voodoo range, and they do look nice in the flesh.
    Although i’ve not seen the 29er, the local one doesn’t stock it.
    They only start at an 18″ so maybe i’ll have to try it.
    I don’t really need one, but you never seem to notice the C2W money missing, so thought it may be a bit of fun.
    But if its a heavy lemon, that’s different!

will
    Free Member

At £500 that’s cheap! As others have said replace bits and upgrade. Still for an entry level 29er its nice! If I could get C2W I’d probably get it 😆

Northwind

Extremely well priced, but 15 kilos? Suppose a lot of that’s going to be in the fork. I had a set of XCRs, they were actually alright, better controlled than a Dart 2 but very highly strung- poor seals + plastic bushings = tlc or failure.

Elmo
    Free Member

The next spec up is 14.7kg, as opposed to 15.1.
    It has a 100mm forks, so it would make sense the weight difference being the better fork.
    But the frame starts at a 21″ ?!
    And unless there’s a mega sale I cant afford it!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_800315_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#dtab

takisawa2

To give you a comparison, my 18″ Inbred 29er running 1×10 SLX, with maxle Rebas, is 27.5 lb, & 24lb running SS with carbon forks.

Elmo
    Free Member

MMM perhaps this needs a little more considered thought!

It gains a kg by becoming a 29er (has a 26 model aswell) and loses 40mm of suspension.
    So definitely that lump of iron they call a fork holding it back!
    Still seems like value, but if I’m not going to ride it because its so cumbersome, I may aswell invest in something else!
    Maybe see if the sales make it a little more attractive.
    It seems to be a new model so may come down in price, allowing a few pennies for a little weight saving!

yossarian
    Free Member

Maybe go for the charge cooker mid and chuck a couple of hundred quid in?

Elmo
    Free Member

It’s got to be through Halfords, and they won’t let me add over the £500 😥

Bagstard
    Free Member

Not sure it will come down in price, I got mine in april for £480 and they have gone up to £500!I was in the same boat as you, cycle2work through Halfords and a £500 limit. I bought it knowing I would probably end up changing most of the parts in a triggers broom stylee, although I have only changed the contact points at the moment. As you say it feels like a free bike and is an intro into 29ers for not much money. Hold fire for a couple of weeks and I will give mine a thorough testing with carbon forks and let you know how it goes and what it weighs.

If you do get one you are likely to want to change the stem and lower the bars, too long and too high!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘First 29er?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts