Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Firmer spring on a shock…
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Think I need a firmer spring on my shock. How will a firmer shock change the feel / ride of the bike?

At the moment is runs through its travel slightly too easily.

fivespot
    Free Member

What shock ? is your sag set right ?

goodgrief
    Free Member

spring-rate and pre-load controls the amount of sag you have, not how the travel is used. that’s down to the damping if you’re in the right sag range.

GW
    Free Member

it will sag less, sit higher in the travel and resist bottoming out more(ie. feel firmer)
    What shock/bike is it? and are you bottoming out excessively or is it just blowing through the mid stroke a little too easily?

LoCo
    Free Member

Bush, have a look at my setup guide, if you still have issues give me a mail or a call at the workshop for further advice 🙂

http://locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html

mboy
    Free Member

EAT LESS PIES YOU FAT BALDY! 😉

Seriously though, is it just that you’re not used to having 170mm of suspension travel, or are you bottoming it out all the time? If you’re not bottoming it out all the time, it will feel like it goes through the travel pretty easily… It’s a long travel bike with a non platform shock on it!

Would help to know what spring rate you’ve got on there currently and how much you weigh though…

jedi

bushwacked, or just ring me up?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

OK ok ok…

Its a Scott Voltage FR30 running a Zochi Coil R (No piggy back OEM stylee).

I’m 90kg in riding gear and running a 350 x 3.25 – thinking a 400 is about right.

Its not bottoming out all the time but seems to run through the travel a lot easier than I’d expect.

jedi

are you bringing it on our coaching session next weekend? i’ll help set it up

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah man! Buzzing to get it down to the field!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

WWes se sad suc thimijngs sa`rd that”’fts out of ooprefdderty. eesuty mnow ruppsrty.

mboy
    Free Member

http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx

The 350 is probably spot on for your weight mate, it’s the combination of the long travel and the lack of adjustable compression damping and/or a pedal platform you’re not used to. If you were bottoming it out all the time I’d worry, but until you do, I’d not worry too much.

jedi

i need a pint of what elfinsafty is having 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

😆 Some else breaking out the Drambuie midweek, eh, Elf 😉

Oh, and just wind on the preload a little if you have to pedal any distance – plush coil shocks rock! Sorry, over-indulgence prevents me from making a more useful contribution.

Hairychested
    Free Member

jedi – Member

i need a pint of what elfinsafty is having
    Fosters with grapes to snack on, I’ve tried and he makes sense.

jedi

fosters is cooking beer!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I thought fosters was used beer

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

WWes se sad suc thimijngs sa`rd that”’fts out of ooprefdderty. eesuty mnow ruppsrty.

Oh dear. It’s neither big nor clever. I do apologise. 😳

jedi

Heh heh heh beered up ramblings are funny dude

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No Jedi it’s not funny don’t laugh you’ll only encourage it. 🙁

Worse thing is it’s spread across several threads. Disgusting behaviour.

khani
    Free Member

Well done! I normally pass out before I get to that stage 😛

jedi

pmsl 🙂 🙂 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well I don’t see any cause for amusement. It’s a sad indictment of the decline in moral standards in Today’s Britain. 🙁

jedi

or that you is a lightwieght 🙂

khani
    Free Member

or that you is a lightwieght

takes practice to stay conscious and babble like that, a lightweight would pass out before they got that far, normally in a pile of kebabby pewk muttering ‘luvyoooo’ and crying!
    , shows fortitude if you ask me 😆

khani
    Free Member

moral standards in Today’s Britain.

😆 😆 😆
    That is funny!!!!!

jedi

as it’s my lots curry night tonight i will be testing my own fortitude to the max later on here 🙂

khani
    Free Member

Curry and beeeeerrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!
    Have fun 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

To the OP: I am so sorry that your sensible and perfectly valid post, with a serious question deserving of respect and consideration, has been hijacked due to my utterly irresponsible and reprehensible behaviour.

I also find it regrettable and disturbing that other seem to think this kind of behaviour has elicited what appears to be almost congratulatory responses. As though certain individuals seem to think it’s acceptable for a person to be have in such a disgusting and disrespectful manner.

I’m afraid I cannot offer much in the way of a helpful response to the original query, other than maybe you could try a stiffer spring.

I apologise for my uselessness.

khani
    Free Member

Who are you? And what have you done to elfinsafetey?
    I’m not paying a ransom!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No don’t; my mum’s not impressed. She was meant to be coming round for dinner, but I’m feeling a little fragile, to say the least.

How old are you? Don’t you think it’s about time you grew up and stopped doing such stupid things?

Yes mum. 🙁

khani
    Free Member

Mumtrouble! Nowt worse than the sense of disappointment and guilt that your mum can bring down on you,
    Grovel! And then grovel some more, it’s your only hope……..

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Elf – so your first post was actually more useful…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Firmer spring on a shock…’ is closed to new replies.