Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Firewood timber collection
  • rosscopeco
    Free Member

For the last 4 years I’ve collected my own fire wood from the forestry commission. Last year was the biggest yet with over 60 x 3m lengths collected. I hand pick it from designated piles then trailer it back to the house where I cross cut and chop it over the following few days. It’s HARD work!

I like the cross cutting and chopping but the initial collection is a PITA and I really can’t be bothered busting my guts collecting it all.

Has anyone ever had harvested timber but not chopped delivered by one of the harvesting companies? What I’m ideally after is circa 60 x 3M lengths delivered to my house….probably wishful thinking but I’m hoping….!

sweepy
    Free Member

We used to get our wood delivered like this. Got it from the local estate, he dropped it round with a trailer and grab behind a tractor, it was cheap and I like cutting and splitting for the exercise.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My brother and I were out harvesting today, a mix of Beech, Birch and Pine. It was timber felled by contractors for a utility company. It involved a lot more work that picking logs from a neat pile, and therein lies much of the reward. It’s great exercise, strategy makes the foraging more efficient. We came home with more than a couple of tonnes, we had it split and delivered to my brothers gaffe in about four or five hours.

timber

Assuming about 1’dia. That makes about 1\3 of a full size timber wagon, so they won’t be too interested.
    Our forwarding trailer behind the tractor would just about take that, but is one of the bigger trailers.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Firewood timber collection’ is closed to new replies.