• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rone.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • FireTrackWorld… the biggest and best !
  • rone

I’m going to be in a minority here – or maybe not as STW seems to breed the eclectic.

I love fire roads – the solitude, the way they go on and screw with your head. The odd bit of wildlife you get to see – Red Squirrels, Pine Martins, Deer etc. And usually they pop out out somewhere decent; start of a trail, a good view or a great descent.

Over the years I’ve done Moab (was a highlight) and a whole host of Alpine riding but I still love a good climb up a fire track. Don’t understand why the disdain for them.

Riding in Argyll the other day and did a lot of fire road – on the Glen Loin and other routes – just got me thinking after 20+ years of mtb – I actually am craving the best and longest.

So any UK suggestions? (checked off both Kielder’s 101 and 100m)

(I think the Trans Wales in 2006 is partly to blame – though they did go on and on.)

welshfarmer

We have a great (if you like that sort of thing) fireroad climb here in the Mynnydd Ddu forest which can be used on the Hard Black Mountain circuit. It brings you out at the top of the great long singletrack descent into Llanbedr. It rises almost 250 metres over 7 hairpins and is pretty unrelenting.

crispyrice

You’ve actually seen a Pine Martin?

welshfarmer

Haven’t you? 🙂

OK not in the UK but we bivvied out in a pine forest in the German Alps one night and a pair of them were playing around the 2 trees either side of our camping spot. So fast and agile, and full of life.

scotroutes

If you know where to look and what to tempt them with…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/6HRrze]Evening visitor[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Salisbury Plain.

Miles upon miles of metalled off road riding, through glorious rolling countryside. You could ride for days and only occasionally cross tarmac. Great pubs, too.

rone

You’ve actually seen a Pine Marten

Last week. Ardgartan.

Thanks for the tips. Wouldn’t have thought of Salisbury.

(Corrected my spelling to Pine Marten)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Galloway, absolutely bloody miles of it from Straiton in the north, to Newton Stewart in the south, from girvan in the west, to carsphairn in the east, fire roads every where…..

rone

Yeah forgot about Galloway. Did a big 50 miler around Glentrool once. Thanks for reminding me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘FireTrackWorld… the biggest and best !’ is closed to new replies.