Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Which one?

If you were to get a fire extinguisher (or two) for your house (domestic duties – biomass boilers, log fires, kitchen hob – no fat frying though) which one would you go for? Foam (£40), Water (£50), powder (£70) or CO2 (£80)

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

CO2.

Probably the best all rounder. Afaik. But you also want to nutralise the source of the fire, so perhaps Foam?

Stoner
    Free Member

lets say there's open combustion of furniture/fabric/door or something…would CO2 work on that and keep it out, or would it be better to douse it in wet foam/water? What about electrical fires (toasters. They've got it in for me I tell you) – CO2 and powder only isnt it?

Andituk
    Free Member

Can't use CO2 on wood. Powder can be used for everything, makes a hell of a mess but I don't suppose thats a big problem if your house is on fire..

Stoner
    Free Member

at school I "accidentally" let off a 1KG powder extinguisher in the house kitchen. Mess isnt the word! Bad stuff to inhale too.

Thats an idea, maybe I should install a FM2000 system ! 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Bucket of water by the side of each source is cheeapest for log and open fire as you only have Class A fire risk there
    Hob if gas is Class C so you need powder,
    Dry powder is best All rounder for Class a b and C as you can use it on everything but the problem is you cannot see or breathe once used in a confined space so it is poor if deployed.
    CO2 for electrical but fire can reignite using these once oxygen returns and you cant breathe if confinded space.
    Water and foam conduct electricity so best avoided IMHO

Most of them will put out all fires but they are all designed for specfic mediums

A fire extinguisher should ideally be used to get you out safely not to tackle the fire well at work anyway

project
    Free Member

AFF, AQUEOUS FILM FORMING FOAM, like soapsuds and can be used on anything.

Avoid dry powder, when i was doing my apprenticeship,we had a small roof fire,went up there with a small dry powder, squirted it at the fire, and it blew everywhere, came down like some sort of blue alien, strange thing was kept pooing logs with a blue speckle for a few days,not nice stuff.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers guys – i think water or foam in the boiler house is probably the best bet.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fire Extinguisher’ is closed to new replies.