Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • 'Fire Drill' at school today.
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

@midlifecrashes lies!! there was no terrorism before now

miketually
    Free Member

Back in primary school they were pretty keen on drills, anything worse than two minutes for the whole school to get to the bottom of the playground and registered and we had to do it again.

I did a teaching placement in a primary school where the kids went out through the windows if there was a fire/drill. It emptied the school impressively quickly.

At uni there was so many false alarms that we used to ignore the fire alarms, despite the two actual fires.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

At our school (international school in sunny ol’ Thailand) we have lock down drills and fire alarm drills. The latter mean lining up in the top sports pitch in the appropriate place. The former means keeping quiet, listening to the teacher and lying on the floor until told to do otherwise.

It seems prudent and the lockdown drill can easily be amended should there be a bomb alert or otherwise.

Surely it sin;t that long since there were desk drills where students practiced hiding from an air raid?

Dickyboy

On the subject of fire drills – do you have/need one for your house? My sister’s brother in law thought his 3yr old daughter was in their house when it went up in flames but as it happened she was safe in the back garden – he died 10days later from the burn injuries after going in to “rescue” her.

dantsw13

With the complete lack of morals shown by ISIS an attack on a school seems right up their street. Imagine the emotional response it will trigger – just what they want.

convert

With the complete lack of morals shown by ISIS an attack on a school seems right up their street. Imagine the emotional response it will trigger – just what they want.

It might be an uncomfortable topic but I agree. London Bridge was a poor strategic target as an eight minute response could be anticipated and leaves little time for mass carnage. The next target will be softer. If you are after ‘terror’ and have no moral compass……

dantsw13

Indeed – it makes me shudder, but it is where I am expecting this to go.

hammerite
    Free Member

As a kid we had quite a few bomb scares, meant getting as far away from the building as possible playing on the school field all afternoon. We loved it.

At school we have a normal fire drill once or twice a year. We might also have a “fire drill” where one of the kids sets off the alarm either by accident or because they’re being a pain.

There are varying degrees of lockdown. We’ve had a few “quiet” lockdowns where there is a possibility of something happening. This is usually a case of closing the windows, pulling the blinds down, shutting the door and not letting kids out of the room. Usually someone will just come to the door and ask us to do it without the kids realising.

You’ve then got an alarmed lockdown, this will be as the OP suggests. I can’t remember us having a drill for this though.

I also have an earthquake drill… but that’s only because I have a topic involving earthquakes and want to show what children in other countries have to deal with. The kids love it.

BTW don’t just think of a lockdown being needed for a terrorist threat. It could be as someone suggested above that there’s someone wanted by the police who could be close to school. It could be that there is a genuine threat from elsewhere, an example being a threat from a parent who has just had their children taken in to care.

epicyclo

In my hometown in Oz, the local primary had a low fence.

One day a nutter stepped over the fence, poured petrol over a kid, and lit him up.

Quick action by a teacher saved the kid but both got significant burns.

Drills are good.

onehundredthidiot

My sister visited on Sunday to ask if we’d raise their son if they got blown up at Robbie Williams concert on Friday.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘'Fire Drill' at school today.’ is closed to new replies.