Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Finned brake pads any benefit…?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Notice Shimano are doing these on their new SLX too now. Anyone know if there is real performance benefit to this or is it just an attempt at differentiation by the big S. Have a suspicion it’s the latter.

Wondering if we can expect to see pads for other manufacturers coming out with fins on them? (Or are they all patented up?)

D0NK

Well disc brakes generate heat, sometimes detrimental to your brakes, cooling fins get rid of heat. If you regularly cook your shimano brakes I should think these will help, if you don’t they probably won’t.
    No idea how fins covered in mud get rid of heat – possibly a tiny bit better than non finned covered in mud.

They are certainly expensive.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Think it’s all about stopping the heat getting to the fluid. I suppose if you can keep the pad a little bit cooler then it may help with that. Just wondering if it would be significant, especially as you say when they are covered in dirt.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends, I glazed pads in spain, replaced them and they were glazed again within a few miles of decending. Coupel that with the long pad life youd expect riding there and the cost wouldn’t be too bad. In the UK I’ve never had problems so I’ll stick to whatever I happen to have bedded in.

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Im not convinced, wait to see till someone rides them in the UK winter and then see how much of a benefit cooling fins are when they are covered in sh*t.

Northwind

Jimalmighty – Member

“Im not convinced, wait to see till someone rides them in the UK winter”

How many people need super-cooled brakes in the UK winter?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Finned brake pads any benefit…?’ is closed to new replies.