Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Finished my 1×9 set up – sharing some pics
  • tetsujin
    Free Member

Hey all.

Thought I would share my pics of my 1×9 set up I did at the weekend on my 2010 Boardman Pro HT.

Was pretty easy actually.

I fitted a New SLX crank and bottom bracket along with a Blackspire 32t chainring and a KMC X9l gold chain.

I thought it would need a chaindevice but after a test ride of about 10 miles and hitting a flight of steps on a foot bridge the chain didn’t come off and the ride was flawless. 🙂

I did not use the ‘add two links method’ of setting the chain length, I just looped it on the two largest rings and looped through the rear mech and decided what tension I was happy for the rear mech to be in at that position. Works a treat.

Anybody else recently done a 1×9/10 set up?

Would be nice to see.

scunny
    Free Member

You will definitely, definitely need to put a chain device on there.

tetsujin
    Free Member

I don’t if the chain stays on.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    passtherizla
    Free Member

I finished my 1×9 late last year, its been great, but has recently started dropping its chain for no good reason, so had a spare front mech, slapped that on and its now been fine, thinking about just sticking the shifter, cable and granny ring on though.

wwaswas

Did this recently with a 36tooth front ring and 32 max back. Not tried without a chain device, tbh. I’ve been riding singlespeed a lot recently so it doesn’t feel too bad climbing…

neil853
    Free Member

That chain WILL come off…..

I_Ache
    Free Member

As we are all showing off here is my 1×9 its been like this for about a year now and my previous bike was 1×9 too. Infact I was on 1×8 back in the day when I could jump.

I need a full chain device as my chain was all over the place with just a bodged front derailleur. I think FS bikes are more in need of a chain device because the back wheel moves around causing chain growth/shrinkage issues.

P1000890 by i_ache, on Flickr

IMG_0021 by i_ache, on Flickr

wwaswas

I_ache – the drainage on your lawn needs sorting out.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

I run a 34 front (Middleburn SS ring) and a 11-34 cassette and for a long while didn’t bother with any retention and had no issues whatsoever. I’ve notw stuck a BB mounted Superstar top guide on, as one of my friends with a similar set up on his Felt was having issues and I still have no problems. I think the difference is that my chainring is SS specific so has no ramps or pins on the teeth and therefore when the chain is angled from top or bottom of the block and also slapping around a bit there’s no “help” for it to jump off.

kiwijohn

I_Ache
    Free Member

wwaswas Thats my fish pond.

Scamper
    Free Member

If you indeed find you need a chain device, something cheap can work – go for a Jump Stop and BBG bashguard, perhaps.

atlaz
    Free Member

Mine. Has a chain device on now, this was just taken before I rode to get some lunch when I’d just finished it and wanted to check the chainline etc before putting the guide on.

spanishfly
    Free Member

There is nothing more guarantee’ed that the chain will come off when you are putting most power on your cranks, a poodle around a lake is no test.

I hope your A&E/Dentist is close by.

martymac

back in the day i ran 1×7 for about 18 months with no chain device, never had a chain issue at all.
    although, i will say, in those days there were no ramps/ cutaways on the ring to help shifting.
    ive been running 1×9 for a few months now on a hardtail with no chain device, no issues at all (new slx 32t ring)
    havent ridden this one off road though.
    its not gauranteed to come off.
    it might do, it might not.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

I use Jump Stop and bashguard. A fancy chain device wont protect the underside your chainring

I_Ache
    Free Member

My fancy chain device does. The bash guard is included. E:13 LG!+ guards have a bash plate that bolts to the back plate that will protect your chainring too.

njee20
    Free Member

havent ridden this one off road though.

🙄

I’d definitely get a guide on there. £15 for a Superstar one, and if it goes as you put the power down it could be very unpleasnt indeed!

Here’s my 1×10

tetsujin
    Free Member

There is nothing more guarantee’ed that the chain will come off when you are putting most power on your cranks, a poodle around a lake is no test.

I didn’t take the bike for ‘a poodle around a lake’ as you put it! It was a mix of road/path and forest plus a set of steps (as I said) something I normally dont ride on my route, to test the chain.

Thanks for your concern though about my safety.

I did have a e13 XCX chain device (BB mounted) but could not get alignment right with it so decided not to use it.

Went to get a Pauls Device but as there in the states they where out of stock so am awaiting one of them.

But I do know that at the moment, its stays on, even when pushed with ‘a poodle around a lake’. 😉 hahaha

firestarter
    Free Member

Jesus njee Ive just been sick a bit in my mouth lol

njee20
    Free Member

Jesus njee Ive just been sick a bit in my mouth lol

Aye, but it’s fast!

pistonbroke
    Free Member

njee, couldn’t quite place it, is it a Trek?

althepal

Some sort of active camouflage going on there? Nice tho.
    Quite fancy doing this for some weight saving but would prob need to start with 2 rings on the frOnt due to my chronic lack of fitness!!

firestarter
    Free Member

🙂

njee20
    Free Member

njee, couldn’t quite place it, is it a Trek?

Not sure to be honest, never looked closely enough!

Quite fancy doing this for some weight saving but would prob need to start with 2 rings on the frOnt due to my chronic lack of fitness!!

I’d run doubles for years prior to going for a 1×10, and probably still would on a less ‘racey’ bike. Chuff all weight saving doing that, but it can give more usable ratios if (like me) you find 22t too small, and 44t too big. I run a 36t with 11-36, if anything I’d have slightly more top end for the road, but I’m not man enough for a 38t ring!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Here’s mine,

I’m running a 32t un-ramped RF ring with a M-Part XC BB guide and a 12-36 cassette out back. Pretty much fine for everything bar really steep climbs.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Finished my 1×9 set up – sharing some pics’ is closed to new replies.