Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Fingle Woods – PSA
  • SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Sure most locals will be aware that the NT / Woodland Trust have reopened access to the trails at Fingle after acquiring the land last year and starting improvements works to restore the native woodland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-26423681
    http://adriancolston.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/accessing-fingle-woods-a-map/

Their press release didn’t mention cycling access but after querying this, I’ve received an email from David Rickwood at the Woodland Trust today to confirm that cycling is permitted on the trails, although not “off piste” due to conservation considerations and the archaeological significance of the site.

Some of it had permissive access anyway but a lot didn’t so at a conservative estimate around 45km of trails have been reinstated, some of which have been out of bounds for 10 years and more (although there has apparently been some “unofficial” access in the meantime <ahem>).

There are new parking areas and trailheads in the upper valley off the minor road above Wooston Castle and Hitchcombe Wood, and what looks like another likely access point from Mardon Down.

It seems that both trusts are quite keen to promote cycling access in the area and to involve the local community in future developments which can only be a good thing.

Sure, a lot of it will be fireroad (some of it quite steep though) but it may be a good opportunity to open up some beginner / intermediate friendly trails of which there is a bit of a lack of locally beyond Haldon.

Looking forward to having an explore…

A couple of us are hoping to line up a meeting with the Woodland Trust to discuss future plans. Anyone wanting to get involved, drop me a line. Cheers, Jon

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Doh!… thats Fingle Woods, East Dartmoor by the way.

snaps
    Free Member

Yes I saw this last week on the BBC news.
    Defo some steep stuff in there – this was taken not far from Steps bridge.

Also some nice trails further up towards Drogo.

thepublican
    Free Member

I grew up in Drewsteignton. These were my local woods where I first started mtbing on my old alpinestars. There are a few steep, rutted out, fireroads that are fun, no real singletrack though.

I’ve walked through these woods recently funnily enough and it’s very heavily covered in pheasant farms these days.

Sprocketjockey-I’ll email you regarding access meeting, I’d happily come along.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

thepublican – cheers. YGM.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Fingle Woods – PSA’ is closed to new replies.