Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • finger pain when riding
  • Potter
    Free Member

did the 100k afan enduro yesterday and suffered massively with pain in my wedding finger which in the end caused me to come off
    never had this up until a month ago really,could it be brake set up? i brake one fingered using hope x2s
    its still painfull today but only at the base and front and back not at the sides
    has anyone else suffered this??
    cheers

br
    Free Member

Have done in the past, wider/higher bars solved it for me.

jeb

Hello

1. do a lot fingerstretching! -hold the stretch for like 20 seconds, do it in all the directions, you can come up with, be creative!
    do it like 5 times, 3 times a day

2. get these grips, a winner, support your hands
    http://www.bbbparts.com/grips_bhg42.php

3. maybe try get the lever adjusted closer to the bar, use 2 fingers!

4. do one finger push-ups -just kidding 🙂

Potter
    Free Member

cheers guys gonna try altering the brakes and will try all of the above
    even the push ups 😥

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Perhaps try not using the death grip on the bars. Ditch the one finger braking nonsense too.

Potter
    Free Member

i was trying not to “death grip” but its not that easy when your smashing through singletrack in the welsh hills(and im not being funny there)
    the one finger braking is only because the levers on the hopes are quite small i find,but will defo look at altering it

gothandy

I had something similar earlier in the year and tried some thicker grips. On my 140mm trial bike I used the Sunline Logo Lock On Grips, and did 3 days solid technical downhill in the Pyrenees with no discomfort at all. Highly rate them.

I also did the Afan Monster and on that bike I had some Ergon GX1 Handlebar Grips which are great for the long climbs etc. but even with these suffered a little on the long downhills.

Agree with everything above (except you should stick with one finger braking using 2 will only put more stress on the remaining fingers that are holding the bar) but also found holding my hands above my head after the ride really helped … something about draining the fluid?? Who knows it seemed to help.

jeb

-you can get some rubber-dingy-thing, that you slip over your levers…

Lizard skins makes some, but i once had some in rubber, quite nice.

http://lizardskins.com/store/products/mountain/accessories/lever-grip

Cougar

I’ve got something similar at the moment, ring finger on my right hand has been hurting for weeks. I don’t know for sure that it’s biking-related though. I’m very careful not to grip the bars tightly (learned that discipline in my archery days).

Where the pain is, if I was to press on the lowest fleshy bit of my finger (nearest point to the hand without it being hand), and counteract that with pressure on the back of the first knuckle just above it, it hurts like a mofo. Day-to-day, it’s fine.

No clue what’s wrong with it, but it’s been like that for weeks.

tandaylor
    Free Member

Agree with stretching and staying loose – but also bar setup.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘finger pain when riding’ is closed to new replies.