Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Finest Torridon Routes (ideally with a gpx please!)
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

We’re off to Torridon for two days next week as part of a wider tour of Britain’s Hilly Areas. One day we’ll probably be doing a loop based on Annat to Coulags but what should we do the next day?

Technical trails are desired, I currently have my eye on the Ben Damph loop but no idea what it’s like. We have done a lap of Sgorr Ruadh before.

Any ideas are much appreciated, and especially if you have a GPS route you could send over too!

Andy

Am there next week – which days are you there and where staying?

munrobiker
    Free Member

We are there on Wednesday and Thursday, staying in a campervan.

I should also add- if there are any routes between there and Fort William besides Laggan that’d be more enjoyable in pouring rain they’d be welcome too. Since I head there’s a chance that it may rain in the area sometimes.

fergal
    Free Member

Get a sneeky winter route in, they are still ice climbing on the Ben, in mid may ffs!.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ben Damph loop is very good. It’s a half-day ride though.

Andy

Yup same time as us – we will be there Tue-Sat. Where are you staying? Email in profile if you want route details

moonboy
    Free Member

Afternoon,

Did the lollipop Saturday and BD loop yesterday with Gavin B off here. Best 2 days riding I’ve had in a very very long time. Happy to share gpx with you no probs.

It’s ace.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Email in profile if you want some idea’s

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Took a group their 4 weeks ago and had an amazing time. There’s a few options on Annat/Coulags loop, and the Ben Damph loop is excellent also; though a bit more than a half-day IMHO – that’s a big, slow, technical climb. Another good option is the track that crosses Applecross – out and back though but can be done with a great pub at half way! Drop me an email if you want GPXs – email’s on my profile

Cheers

Tom

munrobiker
    Free Member

Kbrembo- done the trail in your last photo before. The rest looks nice.

Mtbguiding- out and back plus pubs is fine with us. Not too bothered about half days either as we are there for a general good time as we’ll as riding.

I will send messages around tomorrow, thanks for your help.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Kbrembo- done the trail in your last photo before. The rest looks nice.

Mtbguiding- out and back plus pubs is fine with us. Not too bothered about half days either as we are there for a general good time as we’ll as riding.

I will send messages around tomorrow, thanks for your help.

GavinB

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eYWCymELU8[/video]

Here’s a wee (amateur) vid complete with annoying chest-strap tapping the camera of Moonie and my trip there this weekend, doing the Lollipop and BD loop. Flipping ace!

munrobiker
    Free Member

omigod, that has made me really excited for next week.

Slippy much on the bedrock?

GavinB

No, it’s really grippy, mostly Torridonian Sandstone. There are a few short sections which roll over Quartzite. I’m itching to get back over there now myself, as when I watched that again, I kept on spotting better and better lines to ride.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Brilliant, looks good. Photos will follow.

Andy

Monrobiker – you get my mail and GPXs? 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

Andy- yes, thought I’d replied! I’ll e-mail you now.

Fat-boy-fat

Quick question to those in the know … Ben Damph … better clockwise or anti clockwise?

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Anti-clockwise!

GavinB

My only ‘first timer’ thought, on doing the BD loop on Sunday, was that it could really do with some trail maintenance around the loch and on to Kinloch Damh. I said at the time, I’d be keen to go back with a spade and sort out some of the pretty obvious drainage issues, so wondered what others thought. Given that its an increasingly popular area with us lot, is there a case for us trying to help some of the trails?

Oh, and agree with mtbguiding on the BD loop anti-clockwise. The climb up to the bealach is mostly rideable (apart from a few short sections), but the descent, when you get closest to the river crossing, and especially after it, is brilliant. One of my mates riding with me, who has ridden extensively in the UK and France, commented after the final section, that it was the best descent EVER! Big claim, and maybe biased by endorphins, but it is really, really good fun.

portydave
    Free Member

The best torridon loop is as follows. It’s also one of the harder variations but mostly rideable, and gives the best descents and all single track except for a 4 or so easy miles down glen Caron. There are easier variations, but not nearly as good!

Go up the ‘descent’ path from annat, to bealach na lice, across through and up Coire grannda, to Coire lair and then all the way down to achnashellach. Along the road to coulags, then back across to annat via bealach na lice again, and down the way you came up.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Finest Torridon Routes (ideally with a gpx please!)’ is closed to new replies.