• This topic has 17 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by S_J.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fineshade Red Route (not Wakerley) ???
  • merlinshearer
    Free Member

Just been for a walk with the family around Fineshade Woods near Corby and whilst sitting in the Cafe having a brew picked up a brochure on Fineshade cycling, which has a map showing a red route around Fineshade Woods (differant to the red route at Wakerley) Is this new? Anyone ridden it?? How does it compare to the Wakerley red route?

colournoise

Don’t know of anything ‘red’ that side of things.

Wasn’t just the family green/blue route around Fineshades mislabelled/confusingly labelled was it? that would look something like the right-hand loop on this map –

slainte ❓ rob

merlinshearer
    Free Member

Hi Rob – no the brochure shows the family loop in Fineshade plus the blue bits but the map also shows a large section of red (I’ve ridden the blue green many times but not for about 6 months) The blurb says “two optional red routes for more experienced off-road cyclist” didn’t have chance to ask in the shop as it was busy

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    colournoise

Interesting. Nothing showing up on a dig around the net, but should be heading over there Friday so will have a look at the leaflet if we don’t get any answers before then.

slainte ❓ rob

merlinshearer
    Free Member

If I had a scanner would scan and post!

sofaking
    Free Member

but should be heading over there Friday so will have a look at the leaflet if we don’t get any answers before then.

unless we have some very drying winds i wouldnt expect too much from the trails.
    the increase in mtb traffic up there has killed most stuff 🙁

_tom_
    Free Member

I didn’t seee any red route when I went there a few weeks ago. The blue stuff is fun for beginners though.

merlinshearer
    Free Member

Being local(ish) used to start from Kingscliffe – ride halfway round Fineshade (Green and Blue) nip across to do a lap of Wakerley and then back to finish Fineshade before getting back to Kingscliffe. About 14 mile in total – but not done the Fineshade side since it got dark at night

colournoise

sofaking – Member
    but should be heading over there Friday so will have a look at the leaflet if we don’t get any answers before then. unless we have some very drying winds i wouldnt expect too much from the trails. the increase in mtb traffic up there has killed most stuff

Sounds about right to try out my new Trailrakers.

slainte 😆 rob

merlinshearer
    Free Member

Rob – they are good 😉 might be there Thursday if i get a pass out from the boss!

colournoise

merlinshearer – Member
    If I had a scanner would scan and post!

Phone camera?

(If you have android there’s a handy app I use a fair bit at work called scan2pdf).

slainte ❓ rob

sofaking
    Free Member

Sounds about right to try out my new Trailrakers.

i was on 3.8 Nates and it was fun 🙂 if not very fast

merlinshearer
    Free Member

Have managed to post a map on the Wakerley Woods forum

Fineshade Map Red Route

Anyone get there before me let me know what its like

Cheers

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Last week it ruined my forks at wakerly! the mud (clay) on the new sections was terrible. I admit-i got off and walked to the end of the section <embarrassing>got a stone in mud trapped next to the leg-Boo! iThe trail doesn’t stand the wet too well. (reads title of post-gets coat…)

sortmaster
    Free Member

Assuming that you’re going round the blue route in the right direction (ie clockwise), it looks like the ‘red route’ in Fineshade takes you down the Jurassic Trail which is mainly a dual track / bridleway that leads you all the way down to the A43 (you can then cross the A43 into Duddington & Tixover and pick up another bridleway that brings you back to the road between Barrowden & Wakerley).

Anyway – It looks like you make a right turn somewhere that I haven’t spotted / tried yet that then loops back across the Jurassic Trail / bridleway – I don’t know what that is like either

…but I’d guess they’re very muddy at the moment and will remain so until spring….

colournoise

We always ride the Green/Blue the other way round (anticlockwise).

slainte 😕 rob

hyman
    Free Member

Some of the Fineshade ‘red’ bits shown on your Wakerley posting look like what the local people refer to as ‘ridings’…usually boggy and overgrown walking territory outside of summer as sortmaster suggested.

The orienteering crowd used them recently.

The parts over on the west extreme are the better bits. <edit> but by no means what you would call red routes </edit>

S_J
    Free Member

Just bumping this up. Has anyone ridden the Red loop here? just been reading the info on the 29er demo day it seems to refer to a number of red loops? Worth a look or not?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fineshade Red Route (not Wakerley) ???’ is closed to new replies.