• This topic has 87 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Finding your ideal girlfriend vs compromise
  • brooess
    Free Member

Those of you who are happily married or are happy with their long term girl/boyfriend, how close is your other half to your 'ideal'?

ie: if your ideal was: I fancy the @rse off her, she's my best friend, shared values, intelligent, sporty and has a good job, do you think they tick all 6 boxes or just some.

My mates basically tell me I'm picky. My point is that all the successful relationships I see, both parties believe in each other 100% and you won't survive long term if you don't…

AndyP
    Free Member

if your ideal was: I fancy the @rse off her, she's my best friend, shared values, intelligent, sporty and has a good job, do you think they tick all 6 boxes or just some.

I'm not bothered about the 'good job' one. So yeah, from that ideal, I suppose I was willing to compromise.

GrahamS

My wife met my stringent criteria:

– girl
    – pulse
    – prepared to let me put my thing in her.

🙂

AndyP
    Free Member

I have just, literally, spat coffee all over my screen.

jojoA1
    Free Member

My chap compromised on the fact that he didn't like or want children and I have two of them. Not sure how grateful to feel as I'm not sure how otherwise perfect he considers me… I get the feeling that being 'soiled goods' is quite a deal breaker with the chaps.

BigDummy
    Free Member

My german teacher (a wise man in some ways) said "in the end, everyone goes out with the least repulsive person who's prepared to go out with them".

I think this involves a degree of compromise.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Never had any women throwing themselves at me but found a good one in the end – perfection is in the mind not in reality!

Bunnyhop

Lol @ GrahamS.
    After a certain age a female is going to be carrying some baggage. So there will have to be a compromise somewhere.
    I personally feel that when you click with 'The One' all the list will go out of the window.
    mr. b.h. hit my criteria = own teeth and hair.

sofatester
    Free Member

Beauty, wealth and intelligence.

Pick two.

AndyP
    Free Member

Intelligence is overrated.

hora
    Free Member

Most girls are like guys- they act like dicks and can be needy. However some girls are sensitive and more importantly caring. They have a gentle and caring personality- those are the ones that are keepers.

I dont know how near or far I am from my gf's ideal to be honest. Never asked her. I imagine she'd like me to be a better cook and look similar to Brad Pitt but thats silliness.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP you gotta be happy with yer partner – I suspect you will meet someone who is "good enough" and that's when you will learn what you are prepared to comprimise.

As for dating etc I think you need to have reasonably high standards but you have to allow it to be a bit random – it's all about chemistry.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

My wife met my stringent criteria:

– girl
    – pulse
    – prepared to let me put my thing in her.

You must make her feel so special 😉

woody2000

Over 30 – single, mentally stable, attractive, pick any 2 from 3. 😀

There's no such thing as "ideal", it's just a romantic notion fuelled by chick-lit and lifestyle magazines. Ideal implies "I want no hassle", but ALL relationships involve "hassle" and "compromise".

BlingBling
    Free Member

Attractive, good personality, Loyal

Pick 2

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

mr. b.h. hit my criteria = own teeth and hair.

a play:

Bunnyhop: [grabs future Mr. BH by the forelock (to make sure it's real) and pulls his mouth open to check teeth] You're pulled!

curtains

Mister-P
    Free Member

I was very lucky, I found a 29 year old woman with very little baggage so I knocked her up quick.

hora
    Free Member

Most girls who are great looking tend to have seen more action than a Vietnam Vet.

crazy-legs

I was very lucky, I found a 29 year old woman with very little baggage so I knocked her up quick.

Who said romance was dead?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Most girls who are great looking tend to have seen more action than a Vietnam Vet.

unlike hora who has cobwebs down there and a bad smell…

hora
    Free Member

cobwebs? Its got a sign across saying 'danger/condemned'

Gilles

don't know about my ideal, but I really know what I don't want ( overweight, smoker, lazy,thick,etc…)

belgianbob

A bit of both. My Mrs is mostly my ideal woman but also a bit of a compromise. Still, 5 out of 6 ain't bad, in my book… Good enough to for me to want to marry her, anyway!
    @ Blingbling: too true!

greyman
    Free Member

wife ticks all those boxes 'cept job !

a kept woman – LOL

of course, one should NEVER compromise (on anything) – just means no-one gets what they want 😉

just give in – it'll be your turn next ..

(is that "compromising" then, now that I think about it ?)

BigDummy
    Free Member

I dont know how near or far I am from my gf's ideal to be honest. Never asked her.

This has to be the best policy. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Ideal would be a girl who isnt greedy with her fella'. Pity 🙄

BD- true though. It might wake her up/realise how long she has punched below her belt!

mugsys_m8

The french don't compromise.
    Mrs Mugsy is French.
    I must be perfect….

hora
    Free Member

A true test of whether you are 'good' or not for your missus is her friends. If they are your friends- sorted. If they avoid you- then theres a prob. They think she has compromised.

sharki
    Free Member

There seems to be alot of pressure to find someone…anyone these days..

Where this pressure comes from i don't know, but alot of people appear to really want to be with someone, almost as an necessity.

From experience the more i want the less i get or the less suitable i get.

And the moment i stop wanting i find someone suitable..

Then i'm a **** and do something to lose her…usually i get to confident…

When i'm confident i become irresistible to the ladies..

I'm doomed!

hora
    Free Member

Aye the fear of looking like you are left on the shelf when you could be really happy where you are right now.

BigDummy
    Free Member

A true test of whether you are 'good' or not for your missus is her friends.

What if you aren't friends with your missus' friends because they are idiots?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I'm with the sad stockbroker character from "Notting Hill" –

"Must be great to get anyone to go out with you, really…" 😥

hora
    Free Member

Know what you mean but I love my GF's friends. Quite fond of them and I can see why she likes them 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Well presumably your missus would have to be an idiot too then, no? And on that basis, if you married/are going out with an idiot, you must be an idiot too so you should then also get on with her friends since you have so much in common 😉

steve-g
    Free Member

My GF is pretty, funny, intelligent, has a good sense of homour, isn't needy or possesive, but she does hang the toilet roll the wrong way round

hora
    Free Member

I wonder what Fatsimons take/side is on our gf's?

Is he like Father Christmas, visiting the house calling out 'ho ho ho' when us menfolk are out?

allthepies
    Free Member

>but she does hang the toilet roll the wrong way round

dealbreaker.

RepacK
    Free Member

TBH dont compromise – it all ends up in tears..Im just packing my bags to come back to the UK after a year living in the US with my ex g/f. We ended up drifting apart because we were doing different things: out here I love the lifestyle, loads of sun, great riding, a real emphasis on outdoor living. My g/f on the other hand (& I loved her to bits, so much so I took her back once after she cheated on me) doesnt share my enthusiasm for those things. In London we had so many other things to share – museums, bars, eating out, shows etc..Here in San Francisco there isnt the same amount of variety. So we ended up going out less & less, she stayed in & became a bit of a suburban soccer mom & I turned into a bit of a bike bum. Now we have broken up & Ive lost a friend who I cared very deeply for..But still la la la plenty more fish in the sea etc etc etc..

Bottom line: dont compromise, its just not worth it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

There seems to be alot of pressure to find someone…anyone these days..

I would say it was more of a biological imperative. The sort of people who didn't try to pair up died out since we were fishes. Thankfully we have the choice to obey these instincts now, but the pull is always there…

nickc

ie: if your ideal was: I fancy the @rse off her, she's my best friend, shared values, intelligent, sporty and has a good job, do you think they tick all 6 boxes or just some.

Yes,
    yes,
    yes,
    yes,
    Not really, but cycles to work, and occasionally with her mate on a Monday night
    yes, we work together…

We've been together 20+ years, I can remember about 4, maybe 5 serious arguments in that time, we're not married, we have two children whom other people tell us are lovely (they must take after her) I consider myself very very lucky.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Finding your ideal girlfriend vs compromise’ is closed to new replies.