Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • find me a tyre – 700x32mm or 35mm – winter road + the odd muddy track
  • freeagent
    Free Member

Sorry – yet another tyre thread…

Bike is a 2016 Arkose 3 – it came with 35mm Kendra Small block 8s which I promptly removed, partly to fit a faster rolling tyre, and partly because they appear to be paper thin and look like they’ll puncture easily.

The 28mm Gatorskins I fitted are a bit scary in the wet, and I can go a size bigger.

What else is out there?

Ideally 32/35 wide – I’ve got 35c Chromoplastics on and want the tyre to fit underneath.

Don’t want anything heavier than the Gatorskin (320g?)
    Ideally with a small amount of tread, even just on the sides – use will be 90% winter road (often muddy) and 10% muddy farm tracks

Thanks in advance..

xyeti
    Free Member

I was Gonna say MARATHON PLUS but at nearly Kilo each thats some way above 320g 😯

Other obvious alternative is SCHWALBE DURANO PLUS,

Other than that stick the KENDA tyres back on and see if they are paper thin,, i’d have thought they were OK myself, especially with Latex Tubes.

Or go down the different tyre thread and fit CHALLENGE GRYPHO’S, nit that dissimilar to the 8″s but better quality.

Stand out one though is DURANO and man up for The 10% where you might come off.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve got schwalbe marathon racer 35mm they roll fast and are pretty puncture protected and OK for a bit of bridleway

freeagent
    Free Member

Thanks for your reply –

Durano Plus don’t seem to be available much bigger than 25mm.

What are these like?

Schwalbe Durano Race Guard – 32mm

Available in 32mm – and should be <400G in 32mm..

aP
    Free Member

Clement xplor are a decent road/ gravel/ other stuff compromise.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Clement Xplor MSO, they come in either 40 or 35’s.

lardman
    Free Member

I’m running the Spesh Trigger Pro’s. Pretty light, but got enough bite for anything other than mud. They’re 38mm tho’

benp1

I’m on an Arkose 2 with 35mm SKS chromoplastics too

I had WTB Nano 40s on, took those off and have put 32c Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on. They’re very heavy but have been very reliable

They’ve been commuted on since about March last year, so summer, winter and everything in between.

They’re fine on tracks, have only been through muddy stuff where theres soemthing solid underneath

MoreCashThanDash

Have an Arkrose as well.

When the SB8s wore out, I went to 32mm Conti Sport Contacts – seemed nearly as puncture proof on my towpath commute as Marathons but rolled better. Did a 160k audax on those as well.

I’m now on 35mm Sammy Slicks – more grip if you do play off the tracks.

Schwalbe Land Cruisers may be an option as well?

iainc

I like Conti CrossSpeeds in 35c – I used to swop to touring tyres for weekends away with panniers and back road riding, but since getting the CrossSpeeds leave them on all the time.

I recently bought some Clement X’Plor 35’s to try when the Conti’s die…

BillOddie

Clement Xplor USH 35mm is what you want.

freeagent
    Free Member

Thanks guys – some really good ideas here, including a few I’ve never heard of.
    Will take a look tonight.

Cheers,

Matt.

Ben_H

I tried some cyclocross tyres, but found that some – including the Conti Cyclocross Speed 35c – puncture all too easily.

I settled on some Conti TopContact II 37c tyres, which are a no-expense-spared tyre aimed at the German touring market. They do weigh 600g, so a lot heavier than some (but a lot lighter than Schwalbe Marathon Plus) – and they’ve proven puncture-free and are hardly worn at all in a year of heavy and varied use.

benp1

The killer bit for me is whether its a fun bike or a commuting bike. Mine is the latter, so while I’d like the former the puncture protection is actually pretty important

I seem to ride over broken glass (usually looks like some form of safety glass) every day, noticed more recently than normal

mtbfix

I’ve had years of happy use out of a pair of 37(?) Conti Sport Contacts. Good rollers on the road and they’re fine off road for what they are. Made it up a chalky 1in5 in the rain at the weekend, albeit slowly. My reckoning on off-road grip is that if you want to hang it out on muddy trails then take the mtb.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been using Vittoria XN Pro’s for the past 6 years, they’re slightly under your size criteria at 31 but they cope well offroad round here where it’s gritty rather than muddy and they’re fine on the road.

CraigW
    Free Member

Panaracer Pasela PT. They are fairly puncture proof, and have a bit of tread, which helps for muddy bits. And not too heavy – about 440g for 700×35.

peteimpreza

Schwalbe Sammy Slicks was my solution .

paule
    Free Member

Have you thought of mixed tyres? I ran a 32c SB8 up front and a 28mm road tyre on the rear for similar usage, and it was a good combination of grip and rolling resistance.

honourablegeorge

Schwalbe G-One? (Or the One, or X-one also pictured)

400g but tubeless ready

benp1

I don’t really get how those Conti Sport Contacts provide any real grip as there’s so little tread

I still don’t get the tread/grip thing properly (off road). How does that weedy amount of tread make a difference in the light slop

See my thread here on gravel bikes and tyre tread

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Bontrager H5 great tyre.

avdave2

I use the Marathon Sport in 35mm on my Croix der Fer.They ride reasonably well, I’ve done a 100 mile ride on them.

MoreCashThanDash

I don’t really get how those Conti Sport Contacts provide any real grip as there’s so little tread

Once I found that they worked, I just quite worrying about it. You soon find the limits of traction, and ride accordingly.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘find me a tyre – 700x32mm or 35mm – winter road + the odd muddy track’ is closed to new replies.