• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Financing an extension to the house.. Advice needed.
  • Eyepic
    Free Member

Hello all

As you have probably gathered Mrs Eyepic and I are looking to add an extension to our house next summer.

We anticipate that it will cost a lump on money and are told to expect costs of about £40k for the size of extension that we are looking to have…. But to be honest we don’t really know how much it will cost!!

We will have around £15-18K in the piggy bank by then and are looking to spend all/most of it but need to finance the rest… Any ideas how we should go about doing this if we really don’t know how much we actually need to borrow?

All the very best

bassspine
    Free Member

stick it on the mortgage?

Simon

I think that’s how most people do it.

geoffj

Remortgage, assuming you have equity in the house.
    As for how much, that depends on where you are in the process. Ideally, you need building warrant quality plans to get an accurate quote.

If I was in your position, I’d be considering a £60k pot to be safe.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Remortgaged here for some work.

Went 50% over too!

Eyepic
    Free Member

We have enough equity in the house to potentially borrow the lot on the mortgage…. I just resent the idea of borrowing too much.

TheBrick
    Free Member

pimping

Eyepic
    Free Member

Boody hell don’t want to spent £60k….. mind you don’t really want to spend anything … but do want the extra space.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Mortgage is the cheapest way to borrow any money.

midlifecrashes

Sort of depends on all sort of stuff? Work out how much shortfall. Say £25000? Do you have a mortgage/loan commitment at the moment? How much (more) can you afford per month on your outgoings? Put that amount into an online loan/mortgage calculator. Unsecured at 8.4% over 10 years is £308 pcm as an example, so adding it to mortgage gets a better rate, but big fees may apply so shop around. Tough bit these days is getting mortgages agreed to, and hefty upfront fees and deposits are an issue.

Also is there any rush, can you just keep saving and build it when you have enough?

br
    Free Member

Work out how much to get the extension ‘sealed’, wait until you have that much and do it. Then do the rest as you save/spend the cash.

I looked at the mortgage route but they wouldn’t lend at my current rate (0.5%), and the rate they would lend out ‘means’ we’d be doubling our payments.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Financing an extension to the house.. Advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.