• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Financing a car purchase
  • SaxonRider

I need to buy used; I need to buy fairly quickly; I (broadly) know what I want. I don’t have the cash on hand to do it.

The last vehicle I bought on finance was done through the dealership, and although I tend to be very suspicious of such arrangements, it worked fine, and I paid the thing off within 24 months so didn’t suffer outrageous interest charges.

What would you suggest?

stumpy01

Bank loan…? HSBC advertise very low rates at the moment.

3.3% on loans over £7000, I think…

When my Wife was buying her last car, the best the dealer would do was around double that %apr….

vongassit
    Free Member

Peer to Peer lending? Ratesetter?

SaxonRider

I have no idea what HSBC is on about. They are offering me 18.9% APR!

WTF?!? I might as well use my credit card at that rate. 😯

stumpy01

The rate depends on the amount of the loan….

£5000 loan is 6.1%.
    Drops to 3.3% for £7000.

Cheaper to take out the £7000 than the £3000 in terms of amount repaid and just stick what you don’t spend in the bank and use it for repayments…?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The APR will depend on your credit score as well so if it’s perfect then you’ll get 3.3% but if it’s not so good you’ll get hammered with it.

SaxonRider

Mine’s perfect.

sadexpunk

I need to buy fairly quickly;

zero % credit card over 3 or 4 years or do you need it quicker than that?

redstripe
    Free Member

Sainsburys Bank doing 3.2% APR for £7.5K + at the moment, or as above 0% credit card for a period?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Mine’s perfect.

I think I’d be checking that if I’d just had a bank offer me a loan at 18.9% Apr. There must be something wrong if they’re only offering rates that high.

Drac

I think I’d be checking that if I’d just had a bank offer me a loan at 18.9% Apr. There must be something wrong if they’re only offering rates that high.

No, he’s borrowing a small amount so the rate is higher.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Financing a car purchase’ is closed to new replies.