Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Finally bought a new bike but not sure its the right one for me!
  • hitman
    Free Member

Bought a Whyte E-120 and finding it a great bike but very different to what I'm used to. The intention was to have a bike that I could ride at trail centers but that would also get me back out doing longer all dayers. However, continuing injury problems mean that even on a such lighter bike this could be a problem.

So do I persevere with the bike and make some set-up adjustments (tyres and a shorter stem to start off with), sell it while its still quite new, or split and sell the parts – its the XT version BTW?

Advice from STW massive most appreciated 🙂

Wookster

can you return it to the LBS have you used it?? Spliotting alway seems to make more money mate, also ore common frame sizes will ofeten sell better.

Nightmare as its a stunning bike, but your ringht its better to have a bike you can ride than a nice one in the shed!

nuke

Sorry but is that the bike is not going to get used as a result of the continuing injury problems or that the bike just doesn't feel right when you ride it?

Personally, if its the latter, I'd persevere with it and try different setups…I'm always tweaking my ride, trying different setups and very rarely will get a bike thats right from the box

muggomagic

new bikes can often feel uncomfortable or "not right" I'd persevere with it. make some adjustments to the set up to better suit you. If you get rid now or in 3 months it won't make too much difference to the price you'll get, but you'll kick yourself for not giving it a chance if you get rid now.

hitman
    Free Member

cheers guys

TBH its a bit of both – injury and set-up

I think if I tweak the bike then it should be fine but, and its a big but, I think this is a bike that goes well when you're really riding well. I've barely ridden over the last two years due to injury and I think my bike skills are now pretty poor. Put that together with a new bike set-up and a bike such as this, and I think my current poor riding ability is being found out 🙂

jekyll
    Free Member

Hitman – I'd be very interested in knowing what you mean about your comment 'finding it a great bike but very different to what I'm used to'

What is it about the bike that's very different form previous rides. Is it the feel of the suspension/the way the bike rides?

How did you find it at the trail centres.

I hope the injury problems sort themselves soon.

hitman
    Free Member

Jekyll
    I set my old bike up over the course of 7/8 years to be a hard wearing trail bike with no thought of weight. It was also single pivot suspension.
    The Whyte is very light and fast – it carries speed better than any other bike I have ridden on flats and downhills. However, it's got a racier set-up than I'm used to and the fact that its light means climbing in a different fashion and cornering/descending is very different – the bike is very flickable and at the moment I'm tending to oversteer as the bike is so responsive. These are my first thoughts so take them with a pinch of salt.
    As I say, I think its the rider not the bike whos at fault 🙂

IA

New bikes are a bit like new shoes… they feel a bit odd at first till you get used to them.

bruneep

New bikes are a bit like a new gf/wife… they feel a bit odd at first till you get used to them. 😉

Amos
    Free Member

I bought a Yeti 575 this year, whilst waiting delivery I borrowed one for a day in Cwmcarn, it was terrible!! Hated the thing wouldn't grip up hill felt crap down hill, i spent more time pushing (and swearing). Too late to cancel my order I built mine up admittedly with a fox 36 wound down to 140mm instead of revs and all my other bits and I can truly say it's the best bike I ever ridden (and my god I've had a few!) So IMO just faff with setup it's amazing even the smallest adjustments really make a difference every aspect of riding! Just carry a trail tool with the relevant allen keys.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Finally bought a new bike but not sure its the right one for me!’ is closed to new replies.