Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Finale – is a guide really necessary?
  • frankz
    Free Member

Off to Finale in October. We are hiring bikes (not cheap) and are wondering if the expense of guiding is essential? We are average bikers, not looking for ultra gnarly stuff and are happy to do a bit of uphill under our own power. We are good navigators. What is your experience? Is Trailforks and local maps enough?

chakaping
    Free Member

I daresay you could manage with Trailforks (if it’s been populated in the area). So long as you don’t mind the odd massive road climb.

Maybe consider a day of guiding at the start though, to get a feel for the layout and pick up a few pointers.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say so.

We went early May.
    Did a few days of riding to the top (it’s a good long climb if you’re after some training!). However there are plenty options for either a single uplift (best boost to the day) or uplifts without guiding. These just have agreed drop off/pick up points. You make your way between.

I would opt for a single lift up (to NATO base or the other top I can’t remember). Then make your way throughout the day.

You can download a PDF of the trail map, and get a PDF copy for 3 euro from the bike shop or hotels. Worth having both as some trails aren’t present on the other.

nickdavies

No, but it’s useful if you want to get the most out of your holiday.

When I first went we had a couple of maps, some beta info and a nose around. Some stuff was great some stuff was overgrown and a mess. It’s well marked if your keen eyed but easy to miss. I think the recent biking influx has meant the local guides are focusing on the trails they’re using and a lot of the older stuff has fallen by the wayside. We had no return date so didn’t need to cram it in and could afford to get a few bits wrong. I wouldn’t do it if I had paid to hire bikes and only had a week.

Going again in a few weeks and will be doing a couple of days guiding and uplift and exploring the others.

alpin
    Free Member

Yes and no….

The Trails that the guides tend to ride are either accessible to everyone or on private land. The advantage is that you generally get a lift to the top.

Spent 12 days there last year (or was it the year before that?) with the van. That gave us the opportunity to park up near to the trail head/end of the trail, saving ourselves the slog out of town.

Nato Base, Isallo Trail and Melongo/Rollercoaster trail heads are a fair way from Finale. Comfortable enough climbs but factor in >1000hm and 20-40km to get there.

We went on an uplift day and all bar one trail was in the hinterland on hand shaped trails on private land. Riding was good, the guide not so. Seemed more interested in his Strava times than the group. But, it did open our eyes to what is available in the back of beyond.

frankz
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help guys – plenty of food for thought.

arogers
    Free Member

I’d say get a guide. We thought we’d gone well prepared with gpx files and maps for day one but hadn’t factored in that trails evolve/fall apart/get closed. After one pleasant but slightly frustrating day doing our own navigating we jumped in with a guided group and got a whole lot more out of it. If you’re spending all the money to get there you might as well spend a little more to actually find the trails you’ve gone for.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Finale – is a guide really necessary?’ is closed to new replies.