Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Filth
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

Anyone else seen this? Went to see it last night and can’t work out whether it’s utterly brilliant of absolutely horrible.

James McAvoy is outstanding as the most unpleasant man alive, but is worryingly likeable – obviously that’s the premise of the film but I would imagine a very difficult thing for an actor to portray…

Hadn’t read the book so didn’t know what to expect, very uncomfortable viewing in places but I think I enjoyed it!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I went last night.

Thought it was Shite of the highest order. 😆

The subject matter was sooo far away from my comfort zone that I almost walked out, but I stayed to the end and the best bit was him teetering on the chair, an apt ending before he ruined anyone elses life.

The acting was very good though, some unusual actors playing roles a little left field, which was actually very good to watch.

WOuld I rcommend it? Depends on what aspect of life you like to a)be involved in b)like to understand how the other 20% live and c)if you are bored and an admirer of the lead actor..

Yuk.

boltonjon

Read the book many years ago as i’m a big Irvine Welsh fan

I remember similar comments when Trainspotting came out

Can’t wait to see it 🙂

goslow

I saw it last night. Similar views to Shibboleth, not sure if I enjoyed it or not. It was certainly one of the more original films I’ve seen.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Bikebouy, well done for getting a spoiler in there! Maybe edit it for those who haven’t seen the film?

A very difficult watch, but strangely compelling. Certainly not a feel-good film but there’s no denying the skill of the actors and director to balance a knife-edge like that and create the most complicated characters so believable.

I’m glad I watched it, and I think the fact that I felt compelled to ask others what they thought is testimony to what a powerful film it is…

jambourgie
    Free Member

I hope they’ve done a good job. The book is one of my favourites.

bigyinn
    Free Member

He was on Chatty Man last Friday and described it very much as shibbo did. You cant help but be drawn in.

yunki
    Free Member

They’d have to work very hard to get it wrong.. The book is pretty uncompromising..
    I’m reading it again at the moment, and looking forward to the film.. I used to be very offended by some of Welsh’s dodgier stuff when I first started reading it..

Surprised by Shibboleth’s reaction as I imagined him and Bruce Robertson to be very alike

augustuswindsock

I haven’t seen filth yet, but Welsh did a play a few years ago called you’ll have had your hole, this was extremely uncomfortable viewing, if he was trying to shock he achieved it, like so many people I struggled to make my mind up about it!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I definitely want oi see but the mrs will have none of it. Would I be right in thinking I read that book over 10 years ago? Pig in a coppers tit (hat)on the front?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Surprised by Shibboleth’s reaction as I imagined him and Bruce Robertson to be very alike

Ironic really, as you remind me of Clifford Blades in so many ways Yunki… I might ring your missus later 😉

yunki
    Free Member

😆

eurgh.. I hate it when you make me laugh, I feel violated

Bregante

Read the book when it came out and much as some of you say above about film, I can’t say I enjoyed it but had to finish it. Definitely don’t feel the need to see the film despite Mrs B’s family knowing James McAvoy quite well and being a big fan.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I admired it but I didn’t enjoy it. It’s not meant to be an enjoyable film though I don’t think. Challenging certainly and McAvoy was amazing, especially considering he was on screen almost 100% of the time.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm I never gave anything away.. I stopped precisely where I did for a reason…

Anyhow, you pays yer money, takes yer choice.

As said, acting was very good indeed.

Just not for me that.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Some moments of brilliance with much laughter and other moments of plain wrongness….unsure what to make of it, go make up your own minds 🙂

colournoise

Saw it tonight.

Extraordinary (in all senses of the word) film. Not sure I’ve seen anything else quite like it.

Shame it’s such a non-mainstream film, as McAvoy’s performance deserves accolades that I doubt it will get.

On reflection I think I loved it. Might even be edging into my top 5.

deluded
    Free Member

One of my top five favourite reads. Hoarse laughter on one page then raised eyebrow revulsion on the next. Rarely have I been challenged like that in a book, before or since.

I remember going into a bookshop in 1998 (or thereabouts) in full uniform when I was a PC in the Met, asking if they could spare one of their ‘Filth’ promotional posters, which got me a few quizzical looks. I had it framed and it’s currently hung in my spare room.

I struggled with the idea of McAvoy pulling it off as Robertson when I heard he was the lead, so I’m pleased he’s put in a decent performance by the sounds of it. I’ll give it a go at the cinema next week.

… and my profile pic has been the same since joining the forum!

colournoise

Plus the Daily Fail appears to hate it.

Win win.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I thought, wtf + wow + gritty.

Enjoying in a cinematic kind of way 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

thought it was a craking film, really laugh out loud at points. I didn’t find it overly shocking tbh, but i guess that’s down to me being fairly desensitized to welsh and having a fair idea what to expect from him. I’ve not read filth, well started reading it tonight actually, but i have read trainspotting and the acid house…

thegreatape
    Free Member

I thought it a lot of it was very funny. A bit puzzled that people found it so uncomfortable to watch, but I guess everyone’s different!

hora
    Free Member

Sounds like a film that with each watching youll spot/like something else about it.

paladin

Seeing some of the comments here, I’m well looking forward to seeing it.

If its really not up your street, there’s another Scottish film which may be more your cup of tea……….. Sunshine on Leith 😀

yunki
    Free Member

I’m trying to organise it so that I see Filth in the afternoon showing, and then straight on to Sunshine on Leith in the evening

Shibboleth
    Free Member

A bit puzzled that people found it so uncomfortable to watch, but I guess everyone’s different!

I took a date… I found a lot of the sexual references made me squirm a bit! 😯

I’m glad others are reporting back with similar opinions – it’s a long time since I’ve seen a film that’s actually made me want to discuss it with others.

ddmonkey

The book made my skin crawl in places, the lead character is certainly one of the most unpleasant I’ve ever come across, but it was good. Not sure if I’d like to see the film version but it would be interesting to see how they handle it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhhh so it was written by the same bloke that did Trainspotting (right??)
    No bloody wonder I didn’t like it.

I’ll steer clear of “that sort of thing” from now on. 😆

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I havent seen it yet but should get to see it this week if i can but reading everybodies comments they make me recall the same commentary about pulp fiction and reservoir dogs, any comparisons in terms of interesting cinematic experience. Both of those seem tame these days but werent on release.

colournoise

The Tarantino films are ‘knowing’ and cinematic, whereas I found Filth a much more visceral experience. In that sense I think it’s closer to Trainspotting but still a bit more ‘direct’ than even that.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Saw it this evening. Feeling a little bit mentally ravaged now, think I need a lie down.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I’ve read the book a couple of times years ago.Not seen the film yet. I wonder how they will get the talking tapeworm into it… Oh and the finer details of Bruce’s intimate hygiene and his efforts at DIY grot moviemaking 😯

If the above aren’t in the film, then the book is also worth a read, somehow Irvine Welsh still made all that disgusting stuff into a funny book…

shermer75
    Free Member

Just watched the trailer. Looks amazing

deluded
    Free Member

Great Film.

Northwind

Saw it tonight, Mcavoy is fantastic… Thought it’s a bit heavyhanded at times, you don’t need the cartoony hallucinations to know he’s losing it frinstance. The scene on the stairs in the nick is just heartbreaking.

Not entirely sure about the film, but well worth seeing for the performance.

hora
    Free Member

Watched the TV…. I don’t know if I **** hated it or loved it.

paladin

Saw it at the weekend finally, absolutely brilliant! Not as weird as the book, but still great. Followed it up with pulp fiction, another great one.

Drac

Seen it a few weeks ago. Fantastic stuff but yes a little disturbing at times.

iolo
    Free Member

I just watched this and have to say I absolutely loved it. Mcavoy is amazing.
    The scene with the barristers daughter was a bit disturbing mind but apart from that I loved it.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I watched this recently too. Wasn’t impressed to be honest. It wasn’t that it was bad, it’s just I really love the book. If I’d never had read the book I’d of probably enjoyed it, but as it is I was disappointed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Filth’ is closed to new replies.