Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Films scenes you remember as a kid but wish you could remember the film
  • spacemonkey

I always remember two in particular;

1. Dinosaur film broadcast in late 70’s: I think a cave child gets picked up by a pterodactyl and is then chased around some kind of canyon.

2. Supernatural/horror film broadcast in early 80’s: US family at home, boy is up on the roof collecting his frisby but falls off and splats on the driveway at exactly the same time his sister drops a melon while removing it from the fridge. Think it was about a child that died in a car fire because the brother had tied his shoelaces together? I think one of the daughters was called Becky?

Any films or scenes you strangely feel curious about from ‘back in t’day’?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

There was a great scene in a spaghetti western (I think) when they were (slightly slapstick) chucking (I think) a bag of gold around inside a compound.

Could never tell you the film name but stuck with me for 30 odd years.

higgo
    Free Member

Mad, funny-looking preacher who went from town to town in the (South of?) US preaching from the back of a wagon. Was he a charlatan or wasn’t he? Something about his father?

stevemtb
    Free Member

Can’t name either of your two I’m afraid although the description of the first one sounds very familiar.

I had two recorded back to back on the same video that I used to watch a lot.

First one was about 4 lads around college age, all locals in a college/uni town and one of the was well into road cycling, think two of the others were in and out of trouble and the other one was pretty clever. Can’t remember what happened in it but do remember wanting to ride my bike every time I saw it!

The other was a hells angels style film. This one’s even more vague, probably can’t even remember enough details to describe it so doubt anyone will remember what it was! It was recorded on the same video tape as the one above so probably on the same night if that helps!!!

BoardinBob

A horror film I can remember bits of from being young but I’ve never managed to find it. All I can remember is that two people have some kind of psychic connection and one’s evil, one’s good. I can remember a scene where the evil person is sitting in a chair scratching his fingers against the arm of the chair and this is causing the other person to scratch their fingers violently off a wall which makes them bleed. I think it was set somewhere tropical. Probably a complete figment of my imagination.

samuri
    Free Member

First one was about 4 lads around college age, all locals in a college/uni town and one of the was well into road cycling, think two of the others were in and out of trouble and the other one was pretty clever. Can’t remember what happened in it but do remember wanting to ride my bike every time I saw it!

Sounds like Breaking Away.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Sounds like Breaking Away.

Woo hoo, it certainly does! Seems a perfect match from the wiki write up.

Cheers Samuri.

rkk01
    Free Member

There was a great scene in a spaghetti western (I think) when they were (slightly slapstick) chucking (I think) a bag of gold around inside a compound.

Could never tell you the film name but stuck with me for 30 odd years.

No idea if it’s the same film(s), but as a kid I saw spag westerns “They call Me Trinity” and “Tinity is Still My Name”. Thought they were hilarious. probably think they were trash now though (esp as I don’t like westerns…)

spacemonkey

Hmm, I don’t recognise any of the films you guys are on about.

It just seems weird to me that there are things we see or experience as kids that we kind of know we’ll always remember (sometimes during that exact moment). Naturally this doesn’t apply only to films – but everything. Have never understood how that works. Just weird.

rkk01
    Free Member

Not as a kid, but as an inebriated student…

… vaguely remember some French film that was on in our digs late at night. Some sort of anarchy happening in france (Paris?). Ends up with this bloke going loopy, knocking out the front wall of his apartment and roasting a cop to feed his family…
    … I think…

spacemonkey

Think I found one my films: Don’t go to sleep

davidrussell
    Free Member

an 80’s film about kids using radio controlled planes and choppers to defeat a bunch of bad guys. made me want a plane real bad.

spacemonkey

… vaguely remember some French film that was on in our digs late at night. Some sort of anarchy happening in france (Paris?). Ends up with this bloke going loopy, knocking out the front wall of his apartment and roasting a cop to feed his family…

Sounds a bit mental.

Also reminds me of a French film I watched with a mate (both totally cained) in the middle of the night: was about a chimp dressed up in some kind of clothing (including a beret?) while sitting on the beach chuntering away to himself. No idea what that was about.

DezB
    Free Member

Not childhood, but teenage. Isabelle Adjani in summer dress. It blows open a lot.

TheFlyingOx

I always remember one western, purely for one graphic scene. The only bit I can recall is some people (cowboy type, cowboy’s gal type, Mexican (or possibly Indian) companion and some older doctor/town mayor/undertaker type, off the top of my head) walking through a canyon when they get ambushed by the native Indians and one of them (the doctor/mayor/undertaker type) gets shot in the stomach with an arrow. They can’t pull it out for some reason and so the Mexican/Indian cuts it out, taking a sizeable chunk of the guy’s stomach as well. Then to rinse the wound they pour liquid out of the sound hole in a guitar, cos that was the only thing they had available to carry water.

pault41
    Free Member

Watched “Enforcement Bureau “last week scenes with doors reminded me of another film but the name escapes me.

Remember watching VIDEODROME years ago ,anybody else seem it .

rewski
    Free Member

This brunette is rollerskating down the street when two guys in a flash convertible pull over and chat up her up, she gets in and then goes back to there place, then she…

MrsToast
    Free Member

Not a film, but there’s a couple of books I remember reading as a kid, but I can’t for the life of me remember the titles or author.

One was a fantasy series where there were two opposing factions called (I think) the Sons of Seth and the Sons of Kain. I think the Sons of Kain were weird vulture type creatures, and the Sons of Seth were human. There were some of the weird vulture creatures that rejected evil and joined the good guys. Can’t rememeber much else, I think the series had ‘Sword’or ‘Stone’ in the title, but being fantasy that doesn’t really narrow it down much! 😆

The second was miserable tale about a girl who grows up next to the sea (but is never allowed anywhere near the shore) with her father, and both are quite sad. She eventually discovers that her mother was some sort of sea nymph who had returned to the sea after she’d been born, and she was being drawn to the sea because of this heritage. The father was a bit gutted because both his wife and daughter ended up leaving him to go back to the sea.

rkk01
    Free Member

Sounds a bit mental

from the days of Ch4’s red triangle…

Also seem to remember some post apolalyptic nonsense calle Dreamscape – well remember the bit with the lead actress in a train with white stockings on….(impressionable age I suppose)

ski
    Free Member

American horror, maybe late 70’s early 80’s

Lake near a fair ground get polluted (cannot remember how) and the fish, I think Salmon, mutate into monsters, who then attack everyone in the fairground.

Film then cuts to two people looking from a distance on a hill overlooking the fairgrounds and say something like:

“God, what are we going to do now”

Then it cuts straight to credits!

Was one of the first £1 VHS video rentals from my local petrol station that I ever hired & the greasespanner behind the counter lied when he said ” this will blow your mind”!

Would love to know what the movie was called 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

Re the French Film cited above…
    … think this must be the one.

Themroc is a 1973 French film by director Claude Faraldo. It was produced by François de Lannurien and Helène Vager and its original music was composed by Harald Maury. Made on a low budget with no intelligible dialog, Themroc tells the story of a French blue collar worker who rebels against modern society, reverting into an urban caveman. The film’s scenes of incest and cannibalism earned it adults-only ratings, and it featured in the UK’s Channel 4’s red triangle series of controversial films in 1986.

Good job we were trollied!!

no intelligible dialog

and we thought it was all in French 😳

grievoustim
    Free Member

Remember watching VIDEODROME years ago ,anybody else seem it .

yes – great but very odd film

I wish that Alex Cox’s Moviedrome (or something like it) would come back – odd/ cult films but with an introduction to put everything in context. i don’t understand why Film4 don’t have a regular slot like it

noteeth
    Free Member

Occasional STWer Tangent & I are obsessed by the memory of some kind of film noir – apparently set in Sand Bay caravan park, near Portishead.

Although – heavily influenced by Dummy – I think we might have even invented it.

DezB
    Free Member

Remember watching VIDEODROME years ago ,anybody else seem it

Oh yes, Debbie Harry… (Cronenberg film)

nobtwidler
    Free Member

American horror, maybe late 70’s early 80’s

Lake near a fair ground get polluted (cannot remember how) and the fish, I think Salmon, mutate into monsters, who then attack everyone in the fairground.

I think this might be Prophecy based on the book by the bloke that wrote The Omen

gecko76

Pretty sure the OP’s first film was on recently, because I caught that exact scene while flicking through the channels.

Either that or it’s a surprisingly common trope.

ourmaninthenorth

Vietnam war film – scene of a guy having his leg amputated in the battle field and being held down by other soldiers.

There are another couple, but I’m not sure how I’d go about describing my vague memories.

ourmaninthenorth

OK, without even describing it, I’ve found one of them: Slacker (not Slackers).

Might dig that out if it’s available cheap.

ourmaninthenorth

Hmm. Think my Viet war film might have been Dog Tags.

tandemwarriors

PMSL @ rewski 😀

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

an 80’s film about kids using radio controlled planes and choppers to defeat a bunch of bad guys. made me want a plane real bad.

i remember this! They used spitfires and fired darts. it was part of the Friday Film Special thing for kids. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316620/

davidrussell
    Free Member

^the very same! I see someone has had a go at sounding like Barry Norman in the comments section too 🙂

Class!

takisawa2

Young blind girl/boy, running through a forest, possibly during a storm & might be something to do with a horse also, said young person comes across a gypsy camp, is hysterical & a gypsy woman slaps his/her face to snap them out of it.

We had a mad woman, who lived on a local tip in a caravan, seriously. Her name was Bertha, a harmless old lady. They tried for years to get her into a council house but she wouldnt leave this old caravan. She used to push a pram round Lichfield, with half a dozen dogs sat in it. Well, the longshot of this waffle is that I was afraid of this Woman because I thought she was the lady who slapped the kids face in the film.

donsimon
    Free Member

There was this girl, I think her name was Debs, or Deborah, or Debbie and she did something in Houston or Austin or maybe Dallas….
    No idea what it was called. 🙄

spacemonkey

We had a mad woman, who lived on a local tip in a caravan, seriously. Her name was Bertha, a harmless old lady. They tried for years to get her into a council house but she wouldnt leave this old caravan. She used to push a pram round Lichfield, with half a dozen dogs sat in it. Well, the longshot of this waffle is that I was afraid of this Woman because I thought she was the lady who slapped the kids face in the film.

We used to “know” an old hag-like woman that lived in a shack in the woods at one end of our village. She just kept chickens and used to sell eggs. Didn’t look too dissimilar to Grotbags IIR (gaudy colours excepted). Used to freak us out as kids, even though we’d go there in the middle of the night and play silly bastards outside.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Films scenes you remember as a kid but wish you could remember the film’ is closed to new replies.