Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • filling screw hole in bodywork with no access to back of panel?
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Removed a badly fitted awning rail from the roof of the van, but obviously i’ve got a few screw holes now. New awning rail is going in a different position so wont cover them all.

They are normally under the pop top roof (awning rail concealed under roof) but i’d like to fill them if possible. Doesnt have to be a perfect job.

Whats the best way to fill them in, cant access the back of the panel unless i strip out lots of stuff.

Not sure how i’ll get any filler / sealant to stay in place. I can always put some helitape or similar over the top once they are sort of filled to protect them better

Stoner
    Free Member

squirt some tiger seal in and leave it proud. Trim back with sharp knife once set.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Grind paint off, mig weld up hole, grind flat, skim of filler if needed, prep and paint.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Oh, van as in caravan? Is it aluminium then? TIG weld up hole 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

refit screw thats been painted the same colour as your van through a bed of tiger seal wipe off excess – a solid repair that wont degrade with time.

meeeee
    Free Member

van as in campervan

wwaswas

few of these with a bit of frame sealant on them?

https://www.vital-parts.co.uk/flexible-blanking-plugs—bla085-5839-p.asp

unovolo
    Free Member

Find the biggest pop rivets that fit the hole then as per Trail Rats description, might need a dab or paint on top when you done if your bothered about them blending in.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Pop rivets and paint.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Blind rivets

Pops have holes in

meeeee
    Free Member

Would this sort of plug be ok bonded in with something like tiger seal?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-x-4mm-Hole-Plugs-Plastic-Blanking-Inserts-Masking-Finishing-White-/221925765410?var=&hash=item33abce7122:m:mwI2Q7zqm6410DYALlH_C0w

Might look neater than screws but not sure how well they’ll stick in. Holes are 3-4mm diameter, so those plugs should wedge in ok but will the tiger seal be ok to use with them for a proper watertight seal?

Will that sort of plastic paint over ok as well?

Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘filling screw hole in bodywork with no access to back of panel?’ is closed to new replies.