Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Filling ceiling hole…how?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Had a shower isolator switch removed but now have a 2″ish hole where all the heavy duty wiring came out of the ceiling into the box…it is possible to fill the hole with filler (without shoving it in for all eternity into the ceiling void)?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Cut a tennis ball in half and glue one of the halfs over the hole. Hey presto! Instant tennis-related talking point.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Magic foam. Cut back and fill as normal.

theflatboy
    Free Member

thread a bit of string through a bit of card. put card in hole and hold in place with string. fill up against card, then when dryish pull string out, and add a bit more filler and then sand for flush finish.

nickdavies

There’s probably a proper answer to this, but last time I had to fill a ceiling hole when removing a light fitting, I stuck a bit of ply over the hole from above, cut a spare bit of plasterboard to fit the hole, stuck that to the board and filled the gap with flexy filler.

When painted you couldn’t see it at all, honest guv… 😳

thehustler
    Free Member

baton thru hole with small piece of plaster board nailed to (as close to hole size as poss. then fill and smooth around it (used this method when i cut a spotlight in wrong place in kitchen ceiling about 10 years ago, still cat see the repair now)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Or just use magic foam….

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I’ve used a cardboard patch unfolded onto the back of the ceiling glued down with pre placed wood glue. Then filled the hole once it was dry.

rascal
    Free Member

Cheers people – I’ve heard of the cardboard/string method so might give that one of go first…failing that then the expanding foam, though probably not the tennis ball feature 😉

Jason
    Free Member

Don’t just fill it with filler, as it will probably sag and look a mess. Try to stick something about the right size into the hole first, a bit of wood or plasterboard. Either screw or glue fix. If the hole goes into the ceiling void and there is nothing to fix to, then stick a baton behind the hole first and fix your filling material onto that. Hopefully you then only have a shallow void to fill. I find the ready mixed plaster you can buy from B&Q works well for these sort of repair, although any filler will do the job.

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-wall-patch-150mm-x-150mm/94011

I like them for this job , i had a series of holes in the spare room where the previous owner seemed to fit a bedroom suite using boat anchors or something.

Cant see the holes now.

Tried magicfoam first. Holes so big foam just flopped out

maccruiskeen

Use some two-part expanding cat

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Filling ceiling hole…how?’ is closed to new replies.