Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fifty quid bike is no more, and a CB rant.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Sadly the fifty quid bike I built and hoped to race all this summer is no more. Well it is but I need a new cassette and chain so it’s just doubled in value 😕

And twenty two quid of the fifty went on a sale Crank Bros headset. And I can report that after just three rides (10 hours) it’s coated in rust. And that’s the visible cups. Bloody dreadfull.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I find cheap chains last about one wet woburn ride before the tool says they’re stretched and need binning. Cheap sport this ain’t.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CB make a steel headset?

oldgit
    Free Member

CB make a steel headset?

Didn’t think of that, but yep top and bottom cups covered in rust blisters.

oldgit
    Free Member

Someone elses.

Specks of rust have been appearing on the outside of the cups. £80 headsets shouldn’t start developing specks of rust after the first outing in light rain. Both cups have rust just like this all over them. Looking closely reveals many more dark brown areas that might look like mud, but are actually more areas of rust developing. The back of the lower cup is completely covered in rust.

cb

Just like to make it clear that I am not the cb with rusty spots on my bottom….

mk1fan
    Free Member

Yes you are.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Arse. I’ve just fitted one of those CB Cobalts from CRC. The blurb suggests they are stainless cups. Apparently not then.

“pops out to inspect and wipe with engine oil”

fenred
    Free Member

OP – Shocking! 😯

Can I ask why you chose a steel HS in the first place?

*makes mental note NOT to buy any CB product of any material*

oldgit
    Free Member

Didn’t think for one minute that it was steel. I thought the Cobalt was the lightweight XC offering?

fenred
    Free Member

Where did you buy from? Quick check on crc quotes 5 yr warranty…pop em out, send em back?

oldgit
    Free Member

Now I’ve read about them I wouldn’t bother with a warranty replacement.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

you should send a detailed review into the mag

I’m sure they will add it to the “grinder” section 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Crank bros kit is one of those rarities in that it is all actually as shit as we suspect. Also everyone’s agrees on the fact that it’s shit. Well done CB, STW agrees on something! 😀

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve got two of those headsets. they do get rust spots but for mine at least it’s only cosmetic and they’re still perfectly smooth. I’d be unhappy at full price but I’m OK with it at £20 each.

oldgit
    Free Member

I really am massively tight arsed. I’ve just got the biggest bonus ever. I don’t think there’s a bike I couldn’t buy. Yet I’ve just been on CRC looking for bars for fifty quid bike and searched by lowest price first 😮

ontor
    Free Member

wtb greaseguard.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fifty quid bike is no more, and a CB rant.’ is closed to new replies.