Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fibre Broadband providers
  • Clong
    Free Member

Looking at getting an alternative supplier over my existing ISP which is BT, mainly due to cost (£50 per month). Im on infinity 2 at present which offers as much as 78MBs download. However, I’ve never seen anything like that, more like 20 to 30 tops. Looked at the various packages from the big providers such as sky, plusnet etc. Trouble with all of these providers is that they all come with a free evening and weekend calls, which is of little use to me as i use the mobile all the time, so i end up paying a feature i don’t use or need. Talk Talk seem to offer a package which doesn’t include calls and comes out cheaper (£30 per month). However what are they like as I’ve heard a few horror stories about them. Sky seems a viable alternative, although i expect to get bombarded with requests to add on various extras. I like to have the unlimited data, as a majority of tv viewing is done on iplayer, netflix etc.
    I’ve looked at virgin, sadly they don’t supply to my postcode. SO any opinions out there

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’ve heard very good things about Zen, for lots of reasons, and am thinking about switching to them. Prices look to be cheaper than what you’re currently on.

Edukator
    Free Member

SFR in France in an up to 100Mb fibre area. They claim a giga for the latest towns to be equipped. 37e with TV, free phone to all the countries I’ll ever want to phone and Internet.

Flaperon

Pay £25/month for Sky Pro Fibre (including line rental). Works as advertised and they don’t throttle BitTorrent (looking at you, BT).

Only downside is that their router sucks compared to the newest stuff out there.

somouk
    Free Member

Bare in mind that almost all providers will use the same technology in the same cabinets so unless you have Virgin near by you may find they will all offer the same speeds.

I’m with Sky fibre and only get 20 Mbps down due to my distance from the cab but it is very reliable. I did bin off the rubbish router they give though.

stufield
    Free Member

Sky and others are all using Openreach FTTC in most places, so if you’re getting 20/30 mbps it’ll be due to your distance from the cabinet not any throttling.

Drac

BT Infinity 2 here and I certainly don’t pay £50 per month.

Only went live a few days ago best I’ve had so far is:

Most of the times it’s around 44Mb as for some reason the cabinet I’m on isn’t 1 of the 3 wiring a few 100m away but the one nearer 400m away.

BT don’t throttle not like man other ISPs

FuzzyWuzzy

I’v recently just switched from ADSL to Fibre as the cab finally got enabled. I was all set to go with BT (seemed about the cheapest, comes with the router and the wifi cloud thing was an extra that could actually be useful). In the end though I stuck with my long term ADSL ISP, Zen.

The decision mostly came down to the fact the BT contract was 18 months and I didn’t want to get stuck with that if they turned out to be crap. I get about 66Mb/s d/l (18 u/l) on average so happy enough (I could only get around 4Mb/s on ADSL due to distance from the exchange so not sure why the fibre is so good), this would have been the same with BT or any other ISP though.

I was tempted by Sky to but their systems seem to lag behind as they were still telling me fibre wasn’t available in my area, every other ISP I checked was fine (not sure if that’s due to Sky LLU meaning they don’t access BT’s records but seems odd).

How far are you into your BT contract, are you sure you can actually switch (without still having to pay the BT contract)? In your situation I’d stick with BT and maybe check with neighbours what speeds they get if fibre enabled, it’s unlikely you’d get a better headline speed through switching. If though you get much higher speeds off-peak then it could be BT are way over-subscribed at peak hours which would reduce the bandwidth available to you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fibre Broadband providers’ is closed to new replies.