Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fiat Scudo as stealth camper…
  • FFJA
    Free Member

Has anyone done a DIY conversion on an old shape Scudo/Expert. I’m fancying for nights away camping with my daughter ?
    I’d like a caddy but over my budget and thinking a Scudo/caddy may be an acceptable option as I’ve had one before but does anyone have any real life tips or pictures?!
    Cheers

PePPeR

Scudo, Dispatch and Expert are all the same shell, they come in short and lwb versions different engines in Fiat and PSA versions.

They’re really good little vans don’t rust too badly and are economical.

km79
    Free Member

There are lots of examples on youtube to give you ideas. Just search for citroen dispatch camper or peugeot expert camper.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Quite a bit bigger than a caddy, same class and size as a transporter.
    My swb has 1000kg payload and I can just squeeze a 8×4 sheet In The back. 3 seats as well.

1.6 is fine most of the time but if you carry a lot of heavy loads in hilly country or do a lot of motorway mile go with the 2L as it has a bit more ommf and a 6th gear for the motorway. Just drove from south coast to Scotland and back mind you and it’s comfy at 75mph in the 1.6L holds the speed on the hills on M6 so it’s not terrible!

I have one and have slept in it but just throw down a camping mat. Basic and cheap. Reliability has been ok but not excellent but it is 10 year old van. Spent about £900 over 3 years exculding servicing which I do myself. Two problems in first year when I bought it and 1 this year. Again not terrible in the grand scheme.

thenorthwind

Colleague of mine just bought an MOT fail to convert. He’s documenting it on Facebook. I can try and get a link if you’re interested? I think it will be a slow process though

alric
    Free Member

I used to have one, got 3 motocross bikes in it or 5 dh-ers plus gear
    thinking of getting another now
    a poptop and an awning would be fab

cbike
    Free Member

I used to have one. It was really reliable non turbo slow and a bit noisy. You guided it rather than drove it.

I’d go for a vivaro Renault these days I reckon.

pondo

Had an old R reg Dispatch and it was bulletproof, dog-slow but never broke, ran for many miles with the oil light coming on round corners but she never complained. 🙂

steeble
    Free Member

FFJA
    Free Member

Thanks all, the YouTube stuff is really handy for inspiration and I’ve also discovered the time sponge that is Pinterest…
    I’ve had the 1.6 before and it wasn’t much slower than me 1.4 golf I don’t think.
    I’m thinking carpet foam underlay as insulation behind the ply with wool stuffed into the posts to keep it a bit warmer,
    Car battery to allow a bit of charging and some led lights
    Camping stove etc should do for cooking/brews
    Few rugs for floor
    Any thing else I’ll regret not having?!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Lash some shelfs I. For storage. A decent sized water container. Small ryno bucket. Rope for makeshift clothes line.

simmy
    Free Member

Instead of a car battery, I got this :-

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/phaze-4-in-1-jump-starter

Lot easier to carry about, has a light on it, USB ports and cig lighter type outlets

twang
    Free Member

Spinny roof vent and a porta potti for your daughter if not for you.

stigofthedump1
    Free Member

There’s a few that have been done and one in progress over here
    http://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/forum/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fiat Scudo as stealth camper…’ is closed to new replies.