Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • few days in wales
  • andybrad

So the boss is coming over from Dubai and its left to me to take him MTBing around the dales and wales. Dales is sorted.

So any must do places? Im thinking llandegla and brennin but the guys are very much xc so places with uplifts / dh type stuff is well off the menu.

needs to be near a campsite which I don’t think will be an issue. So any suggestions?

deviant
    Free Member

I had a very pleasant weekend exploring Brechfa forest recently, didn’t do the trail centre part, just went off into the woods and looked for off-piste stuff….and there was loads!

It was like being 12 again and taking my first MTB into the local woods, only Brechfa is massive….viewed on a fold out ordnance survey map it could cover several of the nearby towns and villages, too much to do in one weekend but I’ll be back, highly recommended.

Nice area too, loads of places to stay and eat.

mattkkitch

I’d highly recommend the Marin Trail

jekkyl

coed y brenin is where it all started in the Uk so that would be a good pick along with a natural ride in the same area on the other day.

scaled
    Free Member

take him round the beast at coed y, it’s a cracking day out.

sofabear
    Free Member

Having just done my second day at Cwmcarn, I have to suggest that. A lot of climbing done at the start (though the trail is ‘M’ shaped IYSWIM), ends with a fantastic long descent which is both technical and flowy.

chakaping
    Free Member

Snowdon might appeal?

Christian
    Free Member

Marin, penmachno, cyb, nant yr arian and Climax in corris ftw

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’d vote for CYB, but I really like that place. It’s more of a day out than ‘Degla too.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Where are you coming from? You could do Llandegla one day then CyB other if camping? Cae Gwyn Farm is 1.5 miles from CyB entrance so perfect they also have camp beds in barn if weather rubbish!

andybrad

yea we’ll be there about 3 days I reckon camping. so im thinking cyb one day, marin another and degla the last.

We need a good pub near the campsite, is there one near that farm?

martinhutch

I would have said Llandegla was a half-day job at best, I tend to tack it on to the journey in or back from Wales as a fun extra.

andybrad

yea thats true.

Im thinking the marin and cyb will be full days each. not sure what to do for the last day.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Marin trail isn’t a full day, maybe look at Penmachno as well?

andybrad

we have to factor in getting drunk every evening. short days probably wont be an issue 🙂

plecostomus
    Free Member

What about getting a guide and then riding some lesser known trails? Try http://www.northwalestrails.co.uk

soobalias
    Free Member

marin and machno fine in a day
    cyb will keep you amused for a day

both of the above work with massive hangover and early doors drinks.

degla, little more than a pitstop, probalby spent as long faffing pre and post as we did riding. i wasnt impressed.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You could do 2 days at CyB as there are so many trails there. Cae gwyn has a farm up the way staff at B&B will drop you off and I believe pub staff will give you a lift back. It is a few miles away, but not rideable as dark MAIN major road A470.

Llandegla trail is ace but you could then soend an hour or two at the bike park skills area, pumps, berms, drops, twists, board walk so lots to do.

Penmachno sucks especially if it has been wet as it runs along like the bottom of a river!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘few days in wales’ is closed to new replies.