Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Few bottom bracket questions
  • durhamrob
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve just been out to clean the bike and noticed there is a gap between the BB on the drive side and the frame.

http://tinypic.com/r/xpvh1l/9

Now I’ve not had the bike long and it’s the 1st press fit BB I’ve used but I would imagine there isn’t meant to be a gap like on the non drive side, is this correct.

http://tinypic.com/r/2uzyo46/9

Secondly, before I complain to the shop I bought the bike from, is there any possibility that I have somehow done this when I removed the cranks?

Cheers for your help,
    Rob

Pics didn’t work so left them as links.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Was it like that when you before swapped the cranks? It is unlikely to happen under normal usage (if the cranks have been fitted correctly).I would take it to where you bought and ask them politely to have a look.It’s a bit early to start complaining (baring in mind it could have been caused by you).I’m sure they will be more than willing to help you out.

scotroutes

How did you remove the old cranks and how stiff were they to remove?

durhamrob
    Free Member

To be honest this is the first I have noticed it so cant say what it was like before I swapped the cranks.

I got the bike on the Internet so if there is a chance I could have caused this I will just get it sorted myself at the lbs.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Is no biggy.Remove the chainset,drift the offending cup out fully.Check that it’s not actually like a dick in a bucket.Stick some bearing fit on it and press it back in (bit of threaded bar and a couple of big washers will suffice if a press can’t be procured).

durhamrob
    Free Member

Cheers for confirming it’s not meant to be like that! How do you get the cup out or am I best taking it to the lbs?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Some press in cups do seems to “walk” out of the frame while in use. Normaly a little glue of some sort stops them. Could be a simple bearing retainer or somthing stronger like an expoxy. Can’t rember the specific locktite that Spesh recomend

durhamrob
    Free Member

Hi,

So I made a press and pushed everything back in, no problems. However tonight there was a bit of a clicking sound from the BB and when I’ve looked the cup has moved out again.

Will applying loctite to the cup before pressing it back in and if so which one?

Also, can anyone one enlighten me as to what kind of bottom bracket this is? The bike is a Cannondale F29 and the spec sheet specified ‘FSA BB30 w/Wheels Mfg adapter’. Having googled a bit it seems its not actually a BB30 as I had assumed. The bearings are in a plastic sleeve and there are no circlips involved. Also the mentioned adapter seems to work differently ie goes into the already installed bearings.

What I have looks like a HT2 BB without the treads on the cups.

Sorry for the numpty question but I’d like to know what I need to buy if I have to replace.

Cheers,
    Rob

Edit: should add im using HT2 cranks if it matters.

durhamrob
    Free Member

Bump for the ‘should be doing something constructive at work’ crowd

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Few bottom bracket questions’ is closed to new replies.